Old boxing matches

I've started watching a few of these and, they're definitely a league above what we see today.

I started off a couple of weeks back watching Eubank Vs Collins - the one with the whole headphones/psychology thing.

Then, Benn Vs McLellan - good fight but, sad to watch knowing how it finished up :no:

Then Ali Vs Cooper - such a shame that was stopped by a cut.

Then Ali Vs Foreman - f**k me could those 2 punch. It was absolute belters landing right from the 1st round :o

I'm no authority on boxing but, I can't imagine any of the current crop of heavyweights absorbing hits like they were.

I'll probably watch another tonight so, what comes recommend on THL? :thumbs:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedigree but Ron Lyle was a gang member and jailed at 19 for 15-25 years for a second degree murder.He learned to box in jail and lost his first fight but never lost another prison boxing match again ! After a brief amateur career and boxing for USBA he turned pro at 30 !! but was still a formidable opponent for anybody in arguably the greatest era in Heavyweight Boxing. Who knows what he could have achieved if he had been fortunate enough to turn pro a lot younger. Foreman v Lyle was a classic and Lyle was fighting the original nasty version of Foreman not the cuddly,lovely come backing Foreman as most people remember him. The full fight is on Youtube and only 5 rounds but it was Brutal !! and Ring Magazine fight of the year 1976 , well worth a watch .Two old school tough guys going at it,put todays fighters to shame .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Lyle

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, shaaark said:

In fact, 1st of all, hagler v anyone lol. Both the benn v eubank fights. Just for pure ability, calzaghi v lacy, calzaghi v jones jr

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though and Leonard never lost a single point  !! Leonard had said while commentating at the Mugabi fight “I think I can beat him now” so made the fight after  Hagler had tried to get the Leonard fight for years and then after they fought Leonard refused him the rematch. When Leonard rematched Hearns, Hagler said you need to ko him to get a draw, Hearns should have won bit it was indeed a draw. The loss to Leonard in the first fight troubled Hearn daily unti he got the rematch and then said “I can live with it now” iirc.That was another great era in boxing. I still say World Championship fights should be 15 rounds and the weigh in on the morning of the fight like the old days . jmo

Edited by MickC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And there are a few genuinely great trilogies, but the best has got to be gatti v ward. Takes skill, guts, commitment, aggression, heart and every other superlative you can think of, to another level

27 minutes ago, MickC said:

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though and Leonard never lost a single point  !! Leonard had said while commentating at the Mugabi fight “I think I can beat him now” so made the fight after  Hagler had tried to get the Leonard fight for years and then after they fought Leonard refused him the rematch. When Leonard rematched Hearns, Hagler said you need to ko him to get a draw, Hearns should have won bit it was indeed a draw. The loss to Leonard in the first fight troubled Hearn daily unti he got the rematch and then said “I can live with it now” iirc.That was another great era in boxing. I still say World Championship fights should be 15 rounds and the weigh in on the morning of the fight like the old days . jmo

Hagler my favourite fighter also. And  in my mind, he beat leonard by two points, but what the f**k do I know lol

• Like 2