A days ferreting

3 minutes ago, beany01 said:

He maybe not be better than a lot of lads on here, but you cant argue that he has done well in ferreting. How many people do you know that have been on tv upteen times, is a regular writer in the mags, written several books and does a tour of the game fairs etc in the summer? If he was a no-one in ferreting, this post wouldnt even exist! 

the ego has landed. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have met simon many times...I cant say as I thought he was up himself....always came across a good chap....even had him at my house picking up some kits years ago...as well as putting me in touch wi

Simon is a good lad and has always been a great ambassador for the sport. I doubt whether this is aimed at experienced ferreters probably more for people into some sort of field sport but have never t

I would want £350  to spend a day with that Four-eyed Boring b*****d 

Posted Images

Just now, beany01 said:

sounds like you are a little bitter to me....lifes too short!

not bitter my friend I enjoy what bit I do. I don't need to go on telly write books and tour shows to get people to tell me how great I am. 

12 minutes ago, fred90 said:

not bitter my friend I enjoy what bit I do. I don't need to go on telly write books and tour shows to get people to tell me how great I am. 

Maybe not, thats your choice, and I respect that, but to do it for a living, with so many people like us doing it for free, you have to publicise yourself well, and try to get a few quid at every turn you can. You have to stick your head above the parapet, be seen as someone in the game. If he didnt do that, do you think the producers of tv programs would have him on? Putting yourself in the frame opens up opportunities, but also opens you up to flack, its the nature of the beast. I would love to do ferreting for a living, but I wouldnt pay my mortgage at the end of the month. Im sure hes far from perfect, no one is, we all have our moments, and we all have off days. We can all look back and think we have been complete knobs at times, but thats being human. These old school, niche pastimes like ferreting, only have a very small market, so its hard to eek out a living. If he can pay his bills at the end of the month by ferreting, I respect that, as it must have taken a lot of work to get in that situation.

Edited by beany01

Country mans weekly lets any old chap send them stories ?only thing it’s good for is using to line the bottom of a bird cage for shit to land on , as for paying 350 well I’m sure there’s plenty lads on here who can she you exactly the same as Simon could for free , but if you can’t find someone take you for free and you have the cash it’s up to you if you want pay it , me personally I think ferreting one the easiest sports in the world to learn how to do , it’s not exactly rocket science, kids have been doing it scine ferrets have been around and I bet most people on here learned for them selfs as kids 

• Like 1

Well I didnt know anyone who ferreted at the time, and still only know a couple of people in my area who do it. I had read a fair amount on here, and watched loads of youtube videos, but its not like doing it in the flesh. I thought the £50 was well spent, it gave me a good bit of knowledge to work on. I didnt want to turn up on a farmers field and make myself look a right tit. Its hard enough to get permissions, as farmers are a suspicious bunch, and you cant blame them for being suspicious when they open up their land and livelyhood to a stranger. If I knew someone who did it, I would have asked them if I could tag along. I think a lot of people have the knowledge handed down to them from generation to generation, so its second nature to them. Trying to get in to a 'foreign' game is hard for an outsider who doesnt know the ropes. I got handed down commercial fishing from my father and grandfather, and someone has asked me how to go about it, and you try and explain it to them, even silly things like just nipping to the fish market to drop off the fish, which I dont even think about, as I used to sit in my old chaps van from about 6 years old, and couldnt wait to poke about in snotty fish boxes and sling chunks of ice in the harbour and watch the seagulls try and dive for it, takes half an hour to explain in detail of where to go and what to do, and they still look bewildered at the end. 

I think a good 90% of us ferreted as kids. correct me if wrong but most of us never had permission all part of learning. I don't know any that came to it later in life but you have to learn somewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

would sooner spend 350 renting a cottage in middle of nowhere for a week and knock a few doors for permission......it's not rocket science to catch a few rabbits....post-99494-0-25557000-1502540835_thumb.jpg

how long ago is that? 

19 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I think a good 90% of us ferreted as kids. correct me if wrong but most of us never had permission all part of learning. I don't know any that came to it later in life but you have to learn somewhere. 

I think you are right, its a location and cultural thing. Some parts of Britain, ferreting has always been carried out, and always will. Everyone knew someone with ferrets, and when you're a kid, it was no problem for the old chap to pick up a kit or two from the neighbour down the road, so you had something to do as kids and keep you out of mischief. Im right on the coast, so a lot of people fished, its seen as the norm, but it is a dying art, telling people you have a tractor and boat gets a few odd looks. Ferrets are seen as odd, viscious, stinking things. Even my mother said a couple of weeks ago, why do I have them hairy things in my garden, its not the norm around here. Im 39, I only started around 3-4 years ago, and it is an easy sport to pick up, its not rocket science, you soon get in the swing of things. 

1 minute ago, Daniel cain said:

couple of yrs ago up in the highlands....still good numbers about if you know where to go?averaging 80/100 plus a day with ferrets and longnets

impressive photo. local lads used to go up but I am taking quite a few years back. they all said jocks weren't bothered about the rabbits. 

4 minutes ago, beany01 said:

I think you are right, its a location and cultural thing. Some parts of Britain, ferreting has always been carried out, and always will. Everyone knew someone with ferrets, and when you're a kid, it was no problem for the old chap to pick up a kit or two from the neighbour down the road, so you had something to do as kids and keep you out of mischief. Im right on the coast, so a lot of people fished, its seen as the norm, but it is a dying art, telling people you have a tractor and boat gets a few odd looks. Ferrets are seen as odd, viscious, stinking things. Even my mother said a couple of weeks ago, why do I have them hairy things in my garden, its not the norm around here. Im 39, I only started around 3-4 years ago, and it is an easy sport to pick up, its not rocket science, you soon get in the swing of things. 

Yes it is locational. I am born and bred in a coal mining area. ferrets, lurchers, whippets, catapults, air rifles all come naturally. 

2 minutes ago, fred90 said:

impressive photo. local lads used to go up but I am taking quite a few years back. they all said jocks weren't bothered about the rabbits. 

you drive past ,see rabbits,knock doors, they can't wait to let you on.....even a bunch of strange taffys??

• Haha 2