Right chaps i may be in the market for a quiet short range ( less than 120yds ) fox rifle. It is for a specific noise sensitive area. So the question is, how quiet is the wmr with a quality moderator?

8 hours ago, ianm said:

Right chaps i may be in the market for a quiet short range ( less than 120yds ) fox rifle. It is for a specific noise sensitive area. So the question is, how quiet is the wmr with a quality moderator?

• Like 1

No disrespect intended, but how good of a shot are you? because if you are shooting foxes at less than 120 yds, I assume some will be 60-80yds ect

You won't get any quieter than a .22 rimfire..........and at the sort of ranges if you have good shot placement it will be enough for the job

The HMR will still give the sonic crack even with a mod, only you know what noise is acceptable 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, delswal said:

No disrespect intended, but how good of a shot are you? because if you are shooting foxes at less than 120 yds, I assume some will be 60-80yds ect

You won't get any quieter than a .22 rimfire..........and at the sort of ranges if you have good shot placement it will be enough for the job

The HMR will still give the sonic crack even with a mod, only you know what noise is acceptable 

To be honest i am a pretty good shot. I have a very accurate cz 22 rimfire which is zeroed at 70yds and is still spot on at 110yds using one mildot. I have thought about using it  for this job but wondered if the wmr might be a better option. I wouldn't have another hmr i didn't like it at all.

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

My wmr is like a 22 HV unmoderated. 

Take the mod off my wmr and it's between 410 and a 20g in volume.

It hits way harder than lr.

SD.

What mod do you use?

5 hours ago, ianm said:

What mod do you use?

Oh, err is it A tac?

It had a Sak on it and to be honest although heavy it didn't seem affected by unburnt powder! The Atac or Atec job traps slot of unburnt powder and it ignites now and then!

It might just be the ammo I am using just now though.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Use my CZ452 in .22l/r with CCI segmented rounds .due to their designed fragmented impaçt they stop foxes dead at those ranges atb 

Is that with head shots or chest?

17 hours ago, ianm said:

There isn't one!

The .22lr with subs and a mod can be very quiet and I take lots of foxes with them VERY CLOSE in peoples back gardens, but it would definitely NOT be my go to rifle out to 120 for fox.

The WMR will cover all your bases except noise, the ammo is all HV as far as I'm aware, I don't think there is subsonic WMR ammo, frankly, if there was, it defeats the object of the longer distances anyway!

I get the noise sensitive part, but how many foxes (shots) will you take in a session?  One off cracks are commonly not heard/noticed/reacted to.  

My WMR has a SAK on it, works just fine for me, you may find some mods are a tiny bit quieter, my SAKO mod has the edge, but not enough to be worthwhile, especially as most of the noise is from the HV ammo itself a few feet after it leaves the barrel!

:thumbs:

RimfireMods007c.jpg.bd2cdb3fcc4efed0c8df9835192c8d20.jpg       

Sako                                Sirocco                              SAK

1535504076_WMRRifles003b.jpg.f0d3370ca519196b24fd4c632ec4f9ad.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2