Savage laminate 17

An area not really covered yet is WEIGHT.

For most people and rimfires in the field, a heavy barrel is NOT required, some just like them, for other tarts like me, I have no desire to hump around a great lump of unrequired steel, Light barrels are just fine for most applications.  Plastic stocks, particularly on rimfires are also very useful as well!

I can spend a long time in the field and even though I'm used to carrying around a centrefire, ALL my rifles could be termed light, and they ALL work.

Whilst I understand your desire to get out and buy something, try and give the matter some consideration before investing.

ATB! :thumbs:

• Like 4

All of my rifles are light and plastic, from the .22 to the .243, I had a heavy barrel.243 and would never have another one unless it was mounted on the truck, when out and about like Deker says you don’t want to be dragging a big lump across a field, there is endless choices from different manufacturers but almost all of them do the same job and are all very accurate, if you just want something functional and classic then it would be the cz for me every time, I also have a Browning T bolt in .17hmr and although it is no better than the cz it does have some nice little touches, straight pull, 10 shot flush fit mag and been plastic stock it has a second mag that clips in the butt, the tikka t1x is also a lovely bit of posh it feel very centre fire, if you are after a bit of bling both these are worth a look to see how they feel to you, if you want something to do a job then cz all the way ?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Deker said:

An area not really covered yet is WEIGHT.

For most people and rimfires in the field, a heavy barrel is NOT required, some just like them, for other tarts like me, I have no desire to hump around a great lump of unrequired steel, Light barrels are just fine for most applications.  Plastic stocks, particularly on rimfires are also very useful as well!

I can spend a long time in the field and even though I'm used to carrying around a centrefire, ALL my rifles could be termed light, and they ALL work.

Whilst I understand your desire to get out and buy something, try and give the matter some consideration before investing.

ATB! :thumbs:

I agree, and for me, as short as I can practically/legally get away with.