Savage laminate 17

3 hours ago, villaman said:

Been offered savage 17 HMR laminate stock , stainless steal barrel 

Are they worth buying or just keep to CZ or Anschutz

Savage seem to make cheap nasty rifles on one hand and decent target tools on the other.

Their rimfires are generally simple, agricultural and lack any perceived quality.    Having said that they generally work and few have any complaints about them.  If its the right price/type/condition it's probably worth consideration.

"Personally" I would not consider one, more than happy with CZ, if you feel the need to invest more get an Anschutz.      

Put a CZ or Anschutz next to a Savage and the differences will be obvious, again though, the Savage tends to work!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, villaman said:

Been offered savage 17 HMR laminate stock , stainless steal barrel 

Are they worth buying or just keep to CZ or Anschutz

Unless you know for sure it has a low round count it would be better buying a new hmr. 

• Like 1

Also have a look at Tikka and Wierauch, both make 17hmr rifles. Have you thought about a Sako quad ? you have a 22lr and 17hmr on your ticket. You could get a Sako quad , one gun two barrels, just undo a nut with an Allen key change the barrels , remember the clicks on your scope and you are back in business with a different caliber . Sako make arguably some of the best rifles you can get , so you will not want to upgrade in the future . I would suggest that you take your time and have a look at the different rifles out there before making a decision. Pick them up , look at them , try the action and how they recycle a round . Try the triggers. The Wierauch trigger and the Tikka triggers and Sako triggers are I think superior to the CZ . I think that some people get a Timney upgrade in the CZ . Good luck with your choice , but don’t rush in to it , you have plenty of time . 

• Like 2

Stick to a cz, I was enquiring about a left hand cz American left handed & the dealer said the model I'm after is been discontinued,  the other lad in the gun shop mentioned a savage for left handed, then they both advised against  !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

Also have a look at Tikka and Wierauch, both make 17hmr rifles. Have you thought about a Sako quad ? you have a 22lr and 17hmr on your ticket. You could get a Sako quad , one gun two barrels, just undo a nut with an Allen key change the barrels , remember the clicks on your scope and you are back in business with a different caliber . Sako make arguably some of the best rifles you can get , so you will not want to upgrade in the future . I would suggest that you take your time and have a look at the different rifles out there before making a decision. Pick them up , look at them , try the action and how they recycle a round . Try the triggers. The Wierauch trigger and the Tikka triggers and Sako triggers are I think superior to the CZ . I think that some people get a Timney upgrade in the CZ . Good luck with your choice , but don’t rush in to it , you have plenty of time . 

Yes I am warming to the tikka  after reading pages and pages on them 

Trouble with me I got to have it now , but I think you are exactly right by saying , don’t rush into it  . For once I will exactly take that advice 

CZ are good. Tikka, Sako (same brand owner difference ranges) are good but question is do you really want to spend all the extra money on a rimmy?  They all do the same thing and CZ, Sako and Tikkas are all accurate! The only difference is likely to be name and appearance, and if it bothers you that much you could probably fit a Boyds stock to the CZ with the difference and end up with a gun similar in price but nicer still. Most don't bother going too posh on looks, simply because pest control guns tend to get knocked around a bit due to the environment they're used in.

9 hours ago, villaman said:

Yes I am warming to the tikka  after reading pages and pages on them 

Trouble with me I got to have it now , but I think you are exactly right by saying , don’t rush into it  . For once I will exactly take that advice 

You are moving generally to very different price points talking about Savage and Tikka or Anschutz in the same breath.

The Savage will almost certainly do the job, as I have said before the CZ works for me in the field, the likes of Tikka or Anschutz will  not give you any more accuracy, repeatability or reliability than a CZ.

Some just want one of them and of course that's their choice! :thumbs:

Be wary of the Sako Quad, they have never really taken off, they work just fine for some, but unless you have a dedicated scope for the job, then swapping barrels is a pain for many, they are not cheap and if you take your lad out you can't give him (for example) the .22lr whilst you use the HMR.    (you may well find you can just about buy 2 x CZ complete guns; a .22lr and HMR for example, for the price of a Quad with a second barrel).     The majority of people who buy a Quad buy it as 1 calibre I understand, and of course that's fine, just don't be lured in by some RFD telling you about all the barrels you can buy.   I'll bet there are plenty of Sako Quad 17Mach2  barrels still about you could probably get a deal on though. :laugh:

:thumbs:

• Like 2