Which caliber would you pick ?

22 hours ago, Stavross said:

I go for the head shot rabbits with the .243, still good eating and you just need to tip them upside to gut them ??

D6227AED-A553-40BE-8112-717F1483ACFA.jpeg

Tried that with the .223, right in the middle of the head, unfortunately the rest of the rabbit was behind its head……

.223Rabbita.jpg.463514e6bc3d8e3fb235a51cb6dcd468.jpg

If I remember correctly this was around 120 yards, .223 V-Max! :thumbs:

• Haha 2

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's marginally OTT for rats, squirrels, rabbit etc!  I grant you they are not all like this, but rabbit with ONE.243 V-Max at around 100 yards!    

Barrett m82, nothing gets up after been hit with one ?

I go for the head shot rabbits with the .243, still good eating and you just need to tip them upside to gut them ??

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Stavross said:

This is turning into a horror show ?

Indeed, but I only take  the pics when something notable happens, it is surprising how little damage there can be sometimes (quite often), even with very destructive ammo, yet other times there is total devastation.

I remember being out with a pal a few years back after the deer, we were in an elevated position looking down into a valley adjoining some woods waiting, a rabbit turned up and he took the shot with the .308, just over 100 yards from memory, the .308SP went clean through and then dug a very obvious trench in the valley, but when we picked up the rabbit it took us a few moments to actually find the in and out holes!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
On 07/06/2019 at 09:18, Deker said:

Tried that with the .223, right in the middle of the head, unfortunately the rest of the rabbit was behind its head……

.223Rabbita.jpg.463514e6bc3d8e3fb235a51cb6dcd468.jpg

If I remember correctly this was around 120 yards, .223 V-Max! :thumbs:

No need to buy a mincer then Deker?

The 223 v max dose it for you?

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

I reckon my .223, some good old Hornady V-Max in 55gr...or some  Winchester Varmint X, also in 55gr. Cooking along at 3240fps they don't do too badly....until I can get a .243 or a 22-250 of course :) ;) :) :)

.243 for me ,foxes deer and aolq well covered .Shot a fox last year in the bib and his guts fell out from a 105 gr Geco .Trouble is my old M2 Browning in .50 is frowned on for bunnies and the Feo spilt her tea when I asked :lol:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If I were only shooting rabbit and fox it would be the 22 LR. I've taken a lot of both with no problem with my 22 OR. If I was shooting bigger stuff, then I would use a 270 win. A proper animal of a calibre.  Downloaded it can be like shooting a 20 bore and maxed out to have that much poke that the recoil  hurts.  It will take the largest red stag way out there. A 130 grn pumped out at 3300 fps has over half a ton of energy at twice the speed of sound out at 300 yds. 

• Like 1