Shopping with the wife...

What a couple of weeks this has been. Got a little break barrel, the wife decides it is hers. Then when we are getting it fixed (low pressure in sealed unit ram), she decides that really an afternoon with a break barrel will make life unbearable (got a bad skin complaint and it will inflame and crack the skin under the arms). A PCP is of course the answer and one of my old ones is still sitting in a gun shop, unscoped, for £300!

She does not want to pay that. Especially for a secondhand gun. She wants new. So she says "I want to go to Pellpax!" Struck me as a bit strange then she sends me a link...

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air-rifles/pre-charged-pneumatic-pcp-air-rifles/gamo-gx-40-pcp-air-rifle-177-new-2019/24527

Do flaming what? A PCP, new, in box, made in Britain, multi shot, ambidextrous for under £290! Went and had a look see.

Firstly Pellpax has got a shop again, a nice shop, well laid out, quite a few different guns on the wall, ammo in a cabinet, very nice, very professional looking. The staff seem knowledgeable and after finding out we have has rifles before did not try to go into details. The Gamo is taken off of the wall and proffered for handling, it indeed was ambidextrous, trigger is better than that on the Phox or Coyote (must be using a longer screw), nice balance and affordable. "We'll take one in .177!" She says, slapping the money on the counter. One was sourced from the back, the register filled in and off we go home!

124286354_mg(1).jpg.d4577391f4e1c2d7ac9ed9f57d05f523.jpg

Well what comes in a box like this?

551139947_mg(3).jpg.e6134afa40fcd8364785085be9cca318.jpg

A gun like this.

Which out of the placcy bag is very much like....

1670846482_mg2(1).jpg.7a8f2d9d394015a19211c03f71ca680e.jpg

The stock is very comfortable.

Now seeing as I had played musical scopes earlier and one scope had found itself without a chair, it got a seat on the Gamo.

1258238310_mg2(4).jpg.e110ef4dbf0599ad9ecd7c68f7b6852f.jpg

That VT-2 seems to look quite good on there.

The gun has the SAT trigger, a 10 shot magazine, SWP 232 bar, going to do a shot string test later. But the trigger does feel really nice, better than the Phox or Coyote. Predicted shot count is about 70. so enough to cope with a night on the birds should the GL ever get sorted! 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, timmytree said:

I've been searching the internet to try and find reported problems with the Phox/Coyote/Buccaneer. So far nothing!

I'll try and find out figures from my local RFD but up to now it seems as though thy get sent out working and owners like them.

Mole, try removing the barrel band, I did and it improved accuracy across the fill.

I will do that if the groups at 30m are too large. But otherwise, will leave well alone (I believe in if it aint broke don't fix it!).

It sounds to me like your good lady is a keeper Moley!!

That looks a cracking rifle, Hope you both enjoy it immensely ?

I all the years i've been shooting, I've only ever bought two guns brand new!!, One was a Gamo too, A Gamo Stutzen, T'uther was one of the last ever Sharp Ace to enter out shores!! 

John ?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, johnbaz said:

It sounds to me like your good lady is a keeper Moley!!

That looks a cracking rifle, Hope you both enjoy it immensely ?

I all the years i've been shooting, I've only ever bought two guns brand new!!, One was a Gamo too, A Gamo Stutzen, T'uther was one of the last ever Sharp Ace to enter out shores!! 

John ?

Not so keen on her at the moment "Go and hammer a stake in for the pellet trap, it's raining so the ground will be softer!"