• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought it was a strange old fight,Joshuas demeanour before ,during and after the fight puzzled me ,only Joshua knows if he took the easy way out (and even be may not be sure) I will probably have t

this guy just beat Anthony Joshua and now I’m never going to the f***ing gym again.. pass me a steak bake and a pint this is gonna be my year 

You probably lifted lb's not kg's. Rusty just lifts shirts.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

Who won’t he fight? Wembley was booked in April for Wilder and the undisputed fight. Wilder didn’t want it. Fury was offered it but didn’t want it. All the pish about % splits etc. are all just excuses not to fight him. Both Wilder and Fury could have had their hands on those belts by now if they really wanted it. They don’t, for now at least.

That's the problem money shouldn't be the problem. The promoter shouldn't have the power over the official organisations. Rankings are a waste of time. They should be forced to fight next in line and thrash out a deal or give up your title and fight at least 3 times a year. Katie Taylor is going in there with 14 pro fights in 3 years. They don't mind rushing her along because they new how good she was leaving amateur and wanted to drain as much cash as possible and have her dominate before she's too old. She's not ducking fights.

6 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

How often should he fight? Fought twice in ‘18. A unification and mandatory. Would have fought in April this year if a genuine contender had stepped up, but none did. He’s been as busy as Wilder in the last few years but fought better opposition. And as for Fury, he beat Klitschko in a poor fight four years ago and dined out on it ever since.

I agree with what your saying towards fury, wilder etc but AJ is as guilty as he should be fighting 3 to 4 times a year at the very least. The division will become stagnant after fury woke it up beating klitscho. Modern heavyweights have got nothing on the big fellas if yesteryear. I’d even put money on tommy Morrison being able to beat all 3 of today’s top 3 with ease

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jiggy said:

That's the problem money shouldn't be the problem. The promoter shouldn't have the power over the official organisations. Rankings are a waste of time. They should be forced to fight next in line and thrash out a deal or give up your title and fight at least 3 times a year. 

I believe that some of the governing bodies when ordering a champion to fight a mandatory do determine the purse split (think that the WBC ordered the Wilder v Fury rematch with a 60/40 split) so there is no argument and the fight gets moving. AJ offered that (and more) to both Wilder and Fury for voluntary defence of all his belts and they both turned it down saying 50/50 or nothing. Excuses.

30 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

I agree with what your saying towards fury, wilder etc but AJ is as guilty as he should be fighting 3 to 4 times a year at the very least. The division will become stagnant after fury woke it up beating klitscho. Modern heavyweights have got nothing on the big fellas if yesteryear. I’d even put money on tommy Morrison being able to beat all 3 of today’s top 3 with ease

3 or 4 fights at that level would ruin most fighters. I think they should fight twice in a rolling year, or have to apply for an exception. Think most fighters would look for 10-12 week camp which I’d imagine with training, diet, being away from family etc. is pretty gruelling, so a few months of R & R in between camps isn’t much to ask. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

I believe that some of the governing bodies when ordering a champion to fight a mandatory do determine the purse split (think that the WBC ordered the Wilder v Fury rematch with a 60/40 split) so there is no argument and the fight gets moving. AJ offered that (and more) to both Wilder and Fury for voluntary defence of all his belts and they both turned it down saying 50/50 or nothing. Excuses.

3 or 4 fights at that level would ruin most fighters. I think they should fight twice in a rolling year, or have to apply for an exception. Think most fighters would look for 10-12 week camp which I’d imagine with training, diet, being away from family etc. is pretty gruelling, so a few months of R & R in between camps isn’t much to ask. 

I totally agree with your first point mate. But why anyone, heavyweight or otherwise, needs a 10-12 week training camp is beyond me. 6-8 weeks is enough for anyone to prepare for a fight, especially if they're in pretty good shape anyway, which they should be being professional boxers.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

If 3 to 4 would ruin most fighters then they’re in the wrong job pesky. Look at how many fights the old fellas had they were fighting every few weeks. The top fighters should be fined if they allow themselves to go out of shape the way Tyson did. As we seen with Ricky Hatton he nearly killed him self on the training camps losing so much weight so quickly. Look at mayweather and the all time greats they were never really out of fighting condition. I think AJ is milking the cash cow with all these dopey adverts as well. Or maybe he isn’t sure of himself against the other 2 who put their money where their mouth is and had a very good fight. So he’s cashing in before wilder puts him to bed

40 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

If 3 to 4 would ruin most fighters then they’re in the wrong job pesky. Look at how many fights the old fellas had they were fighting every few weeks. The top fighters should be fined if they allow themselves to go out of shape the way Tyson did. As we seen with Ricky Hatton he nearly killed him self on the training camps losing so much weight so quickly. Look at mayweather and the all time greats they were never really out of fighting condition. I think AJ is milking the cash cow with all these dopey adverts as well. Or maybe he isn’t sure of himself against the other 2 who put their money where their mouth is and had a very good fight. So he’s cashing in before wilder puts him to bed

Yeah I agree with all that you have said.

1 hour ago, shaaark said:

I totally agree with your first point mate. But why anyone, heavyweight or otherwise, needs a 10-12 week training camp is beyond me. 6-8 weeks is enough for anyone to prepare for a fight, especially if they're in pretty good shape anyway, which they should be being professional boxers.

Without being a prick about it mate.....thats simply wrong,t doesnt matter how fit somebody is you need a date to peak to and 6 - 8 weeks simply isnt long enough to do that and its one of the privileges a world champion is entitled to.

As for this whole heavyweight circus fans can make it as simple or as complicated as they like Joshua has been in the game virtually half the time the other 2 have and achieved far more.His resume is far better than the other 2 and he is the only one looking to unify the division.Wilder and Fury are both getting away with making good money fighting weak opposition,what on earth is Wilder doing rematching fighters when he hasnt fought the best and what is Fury doing fighting nobodies when he is supposedly trying to win a world title it really is a disgrace that the sanctioning bodies dont simply order these fights and put them out to purse bids,simple.

As for tonights fight i think Ruiz is a harder fight than Miller would have been but he has fast hands and slow feet which is always a recipe for disaster.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

Without being a prick about it mate.....thats simply wrong,t doesnt matter how fit somebody is you need a date to peak to and 6 - 8 weeks simply isnt long enough to do that and its one of the privileges a world champion is entitled to.

As for this whole heavyweight circus fans can make it as simple or as complicated as they like Joshua has been in the game virtually half the time the other 2 have and achieved far more.His resume is far better than the other 2 and he is the only one looking to unify the division.Wilder and Fury are both getting away with making good money fighting weak opposition,what on earth is Wilder doing rematching fighters when he hasnt fought the best and what is Fury doing fighting nobodies when he is supposedly trying to win a world title it really is a disgrace that the sanctioning bodies dont simply order these fights and put them out to purse bids,simple.

As for tonights fight i think Ruiz is a harder fight than Miller would have been but he has fast hands and slow feet which is always a recipe for disaster.

I agree with alot of what you've said here gnash. But howcome say up til about 20 years ago, no-one, apart from most heavyweights, would have a 10-12 week training camp? No-one. 3, 4, 5 fights a year was in most cases the norm, and up til say the 70's, for most weight divisions it'd be more like 5, 6 and seven fights a year. I know things have moved on with training, and like you say, peaking for a fight, but it's not like peaking for a bodybuilding contest or whatever, it's boxing, and they don't need to go into a fight with 7% body fat. It's a fight, and some bodyweight will be be beneficial, as long as the fitness is there, and it obviously is with most heavyweights. Alot of them will do 12 rounds whilst still 'looking' unfit. No, I don't think any fighter needs a 10-12 camp. 

Not being a prick about it either ?

I watched the Ruiz v Parker title fight and I think Ruiz should of got the decision. He is well capable of dropping Joshua. That would piss all over Eddie hearns pie ? He would take the superfights then.?

Just seen advert for fury v tom Schwartz £20ppv and everyone says AJ and Eddie are all about the money. That fight should be on channel five and that's only if it doesn't clash with Swedish curling semi finals.

Rubbish

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The modern star boxers only fight 2-3 times max a year to keep there ppv figures high and its better for them when making deals with sponsors,endorsements etc. Its a resource that not many of the older fighters had and only a few of the modern fighters can tap into but it is a massive resource. There was a good post on one of the Forums about it,il see if I can find it .

Edited by MickC
56 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I agree with alot of what you've said here gnash. But howcome say up til about 20 years ago, no-one, apart from most heavyweights, would have a 10-12 week training camp? No-one. 3, 4, 5 fights a year was in most cases the norm, and up til say the 70's, for most weight divisions it'd be more like 5, 6 and seven fights a year. I know things have moved on with training, and like you say, peaking for a fight, but it's not like peaking for a bodybuilding contest or whatever, it's boxing, and they don't need to go into a fight with 7% body fat. It's a fight, and some bodyweight will be be beneficial, as long as the fitness is there, and it obviously is with most heavyweights. Alot of them will do 12 rounds whilst still 'looking' unfit. No, I don't think any fighter needs a 10-12 camp. 

Not being a prick about it either ?

I agree as earlier in there careers all three of them where a lot more active when going through the divisions, maybe not as often once they where into 12rounders, but they where more active. Wilder had 9 fights in a year Fury had 8 fights in a year and Joshua had 7 fights in a year. Now there at the top level like I mentioned its 2 fights a year and all about there marketability and keeping ppv figures high and getting the most from sponsors, endorsements etc . Boxing is big business now so its easy to see why they do it but it is frustrating for fans .

Edited by MickC