3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Might just be that most labs were NOT even remotely racy, compared to say alot of collies, to make first x's even remotely attractractive to most lurcher people. But the last 10ish years has seen an increase in some lab lines of very attractive, racyish types. Would have alot of good traits I think

that might be true, seen a lot of labs that think they coursing dogs lol, we used to course some ground where they used to have a huge hare population and had a hare shoot at the end of the season, all the lads that took part had been thrashing fook out their  labs all season for chasing, then take em to a hare shoot lol.

• Like 1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it depends on what you want from a lurcher, they are different things to different people. I want a mooching dog that can work with bushers and ferrets, have a few runs on the lamp and help me

To be fair it is right that a lot of issues on shoots are caused by labs kicking off but as a percentage it’s still pretty low.  Out of interest. The picture on the forestry track is the Bitch I

For me in the right hands should make ideal mooching/marking/ferreting dogs. Ideal for fur and feather i could never understand why they were not more popular compared to first cross collie/greys and

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, two crows said:

that might be true, seen a lot of labs that think they coursing dogs lol, we used to course some ground where they used to have a huge hare population and had a hare shoot at the end of the season, all the lads that took part had been thrashing fook out their  labs all season for chasing, then take em to a hare shoot lol.

I would use a large f1whippet x greyhound or f1saluki greyhound both will keep a lighter frame than a pure  greyhound atb bill

• Like 2
1 hour ago, two crows said:

You think that might be through the good hunting istinct and prey drive t c?

• Like 1

I think I have mentioned it before one of the best lamp dogs I ever saw was a first cross good retrieve land or water decent feet and a decent coat with plenty of brains as you would expect and could take a knock or two  and could run most places never the quickest but he knew how to run different quarry  I would think it's one cross you would get plenty of interest from if you did breed and as a bonus they don't bring unwanted attention 

2 hours ago, trigger2 said:

If you end up doing that breeding in the time you say and you put a pure grey or even a grew over her I should be about ready to bring another pup on I would More than likely have a pup from you.

Same here

6 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I agree tc he was far from the quickest I have seen  nor the most athetic but knew how to run never picked a run and could run most places and he wasn't the only lab cross that I heard of that could 

my mate had one when we were kids he was cloddy but a decent dog, he did sing sometimes lol, there was another out the same litter that one was racier also decent, I was out one evening with the racy one and its owner I had 2 hares with my dogs, and I pounced on what I thought was a rabbit in the grass, quick as a flash tommy said il'e have the rabbit, but it turned out to be a leveret.lol

1 hour ago, two crows said:

my mate had one when we were kids he was cloddy but a decent dog, he did sing sometimes lol, there was another out the same litter that one was racier also decent, I was out one evening with the racy one and its owner I had 2 hares with my dogs, and I pounced on what I thought was a rabbit in the grass, quick as a flash tommy said il'e have the rabbit, but it turned out to be a leveret.lol

i reckon the  1 /4 lab 3/4 running dog , either greyhound or lurcher   make very good pot filler,good feet coat, and brain, but not as manic as some collie xs , yep  1/4 bred lab x running dog  make good lurcher .

• Like 5

I can't see what they would bring to a running dog except a big appetite.As bird said 1/4 lab would be ok but 1/4 a lot of dogs would be ok.I've seen a lot that are dog aggressive and would never spoil a running dog line with one.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I can't see what they would bring to a running dog except a big appetite.As bird said 1/4 lab would be ok but 1/4 a lot of dogs would be ok.I've seen a lot that are dog aggressive and would never spoil a running dog line with one.

We got decent lines of lab over here mate ?

• Like 1

the o p only mentions his lab, no consideration given to the grey at all, funny how that happens, we say allsorts about using distance greys only to add wind, or working one's, but truth be told 99 times out of a hundred any old grey is used, and they never get the blame for any faults that appear, the collie gets the blame for picking runs, saluki for bad recall, lol, when truth be told greys jack through no stamina, are incapable of multiple runs in quick succession, and often go deaf if they get loose, and can be terrible with other dogs, but nothing faster, katchum said they would make up for lack of speed in other ways and they would, and in that case, like bill said there other things out there better suited.

• Like 7