Don’t know if I’ve posed already...........anyway.......I remember a local old fella who owned two whippet labs back in 1980’s. Couldn’t comment on how much lab. One was like a straight whippet other a bit stockier, both sandy in colour. He used to go ferreting and daytime hunting with them.......said they were good working dogs....no more no less.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it depends on what you want from a lurcher, they are different things to different people. I want a mooching dog that can work with bushers and ferrets, have a few runs on the lamp and help me

To be fair it is right that a lot of issues on shoots are caused by labs kicking off but as a percentage it’s still pretty low.  Out of interest. The picture on the forestry track is the Bitch I

For me in the right hands should make ideal mooching/marking/ferreting dogs. Ideal for fur and feather i could never understand why they were not more popular compared to first cross collie/greys and

Posted Images

4 hours ago, sandymere said:

Stick something like this over it to get a lighter frame but hold some speed,/stamina plus pretty stable genetically so should throw a level litter.?

received_1611703215589652.thumb.jpeg.5ae09b44745276c54b7446654f7ce70c.jpeg.47f8094a7c55b26cbc8fd487061fe773.jpeg

The pups might have normal sized snouts an all?

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Wonder what a ebt over one would look like?

That's where the elongated Hooters come from in them Galapagos the was outcrossed wi ebt centuries ago dykos had a litter of first x I'm told

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Black neck said:

That's where the elongated Hooters come from in them Galapagos the was outcrossed wi ebt centuries ago dykos had a litter of first x I'm told

I was always told greyhounds have old bulldog blood,whippets have a good dose of bull blood imo.Mine don't start fights but will pile in on any fight that starts around them.

I quite like the theory of this, and there was a chap looking at foxhound crosses, but we must not forget that these things are not new, and have been abandoned for a reason, what that reason is I don't know, but when saluki's first started being crossed into lurchers something happened that that made them the ultimate hare dog, and we still have them, labs took over from flatcoats, for a reason, and the minority spaniel breads have been left behind for a reason.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 3
On 01/06/2019 at 01:34, bird said:

i reckon the  1 /4 lab 3/4 running dog , either greyhound or lurcher   make very good pot filler,good feet coat, and brain, but not as manic as some collie xs , yep  1/4 bred lab x running dog  make good lurcher .

They wunt be my kind of animal but I would say it needs to go back to a sight hound saturated beast in my humble opinion 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dan Newcombe said:

I suppose that's the issue with most cross breeding, you don't quite know how they are going to throw in the first instance.

Its a way off just now so plenty of time to try and find a decent stud to do the job.

Would you consider using your dog as stud over a greyhound or coursing dog dam? In my mind I feel that the dam gives more shape so you might avoid too much clodiness but keep the desirable lab traits

Definitely would use him over a running dog, the theory behind using our bitch was as much because finding someone who would want a litter of lab crosses out of their running bitch would have been less likely than someone with a decent dog using it over my lab. 

I agree that there is probably a reason that they haven't stayed the course and undoubtedly a 3/4 cross would be a better running dog but as an all rounds i like the sound of them - if it turns out OK then a 3/4 could be on the cards in years to come.

4 hours ago, two crows said:

I quite like the theory of this, and there was a chap looking at foxhound crosses, but we must not forget that these things are not new, and have been abandoned for a reason, what that reason is I don't know, but when saluki's first started being crossed into lurchers something happened that that made them the ultimate hare dog, and we still have them, labs took over from flatcoats, for a reason, and the minority spaniel breads have been left behind for a reason.

Bit of track but some yrs a go pal bred a twenty six inch saluki mixed predominately lurcher two a first X collie spaniel these jukels bad all the ability of a gun dog breed plus lots smaller easier ta keep fantastic temperaments great in cover plus water now fa there size thy were equally has quick has a f1 collie xs but had more running ability top end could hang on in there a wee while,killing coneys birds etc mooching about only needs something around twent one ta twenty three more than enough one don't need sixty pound in weight ds this type a work lab greyhounds can come in way above the average lurcher size and weight the sal does lots ta the frame on a jukel the greyhound adds tons a power plus weight so does the modern working type whippet these in lots a cases are bigger heavier than non peds pound da pound different breeds with the same breed type name, the bitch has a massive outcome if any xs more so in a first generation breed of a jukel fa me a super fast up and at em coursing type will give you a chance of something in the nest.its okay and fine saying this will catch this that  deep winter the little coney will stretch the quickest if jukels simples has that.atb bill