I am thinking about crossing one of our lab bitches to a running dog in the future.

She is a hellish racy thing which is what we try to breed for the heather hill up here. Fast and Athletic but covered in muscle - she almost looks like she has some running dog in there.

At the moment she is 2 so not looking to do this for at least another couple of years - we have a kid on the way and my half plan is to do the cross when it is about 5 for its first dog (so the bitch would be about 7 and we wouldn't register more pups anyway).

In my mind i was thinking a grey / whippet cross or a hard blood whippet - of the bigger stamp. Don't want it to be too big but has to go well with the lab.

Anyway - my question is that, given the right lab would this likely make a useful mooching dog - only really interested in rabbits up here but would be handy if it would pick up as well if need be and Ive also never even heard of people using these as a cross - is there a reason and would actually we be better off juts buying a collie cross type thing instead?

I can imagine that you might throw some heavier stuff but our lines are lighter built so hopefully would throw something useful.

Thanks
Dan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it depends on what you want from a lurcher, they are different things to different people. I want a mooching dog that can work with bushers and ferrets, have a few runs on the lamp and help me

To be fair it is right that a lot of issues on shoots are caused by labs kicking off but as a percentage it’s still pretty low.  Out of interest. The picture on the forestry track is the Bitch I

For me in the right hands should make ideal mooching/marking/ferreting dogs. Ideal for fur and feather i could never understand why they were not more popular compared to first cross collie/greys and

Posted Images

For me in the right hands should make ideal mooching/marking/ferreting dogs. Ideal for fur and feather i could never understand why they were not more popular compared to first cross collie/greys and i love collie crosses.The right lab surely has some good positives to offer including temperament.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, darbo said:

For me in the right hands should make ideal mooching/marking/ferreting dogs. Ideal for fur and feather i could never understand why they were not more popular compared to first cross collie/greys and i love collie crosses.The right lab surely has some good positives to offer including temperament.

Should make retrieving easy as well ?

There were several lab x greyhounds in my village when i was younger. Most were used as gundogs and ferreters and one was a decent lamp dog, and another put up a good show at coursing hares but was obviously no match dog. All of them retrieved and i am surprised the cross isn't more popular.

• Like 2

we have been here before, I have seen a couple of decent ones, and they were the only ones I ever saw , but cleverer dog men than me have been trying different crosses for ever, and that might just be why we don't see so many gun dog crosses about.

• Like 4

Might just be that most labs were NOT even remotely racy, compared to say alot of collies, to make first x's even remotely attractractive to most lurcher people. But the last 10ish years has seen an increase in some lab lines of very attractive, racyish types. Would have alot of good traits I think