Hip replacement

My old man had it done in his mid forties after his hip had pretty much disintegrated.It was already all pinned together after he smashed it to bits in a bike accident as a teenager.He walked out of hospital on crutches after 2days and was walking unaided in just over a week.He had his knee done a few years later,about 10years ago now and hss had nothing but pain and problems with it since.

• Like 1

I’m 53 and had a hip resurfacing at 48 instead of a replacement. The theory is that for someone a bit younger they will last about 20 years and then you have a replacement . They get you up and about the day after your op and you are mobile fairly quickly. If you are in a lot of pain like I was it’s amazing, I have always been active and I suppose, years of building work and strenuous lifting had taken its toll. Had mine done NHS and can’t fault their treatment, they were fantastic. If you are having one , ask if it’s ceramic, mines metal and I have to get my blood checked to see if there is metal in my blood , which isn’t good . ATB 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Been told I need one though because I get by with pain killers and carry on working so have been told they will not give me one .

The problem is you are only going to transfer your weight on to another joint , and put more stress on that . I put up with ciatica for years , but my limping around just wore my hip out , my advice is get it sorted , before you build up more problems. ATB

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Been told I need one though because I get by with pain killers and carry on working so have been told they will not give me one .

If you can afford to go on the sick, go on it, then go to the doctors every other week and A&E start being a nuisance they will soon get round to you

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, delswal said:

If you can afford to go on the sick, go on it, then go to the doctors every other week and A&E start being a nuisance they will soon get round to you

Excuse the doctor gave me after looking at my x rays was that if I had one now I would probably need another one at a later date and tbh wile I am managing the pain and still being mobile I am going to try and stick it out till I retire in another 7 years but if it does get worse I will do what you have suggested .

3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Excuse the doctor gave me after looking at my x rays was that if I had one now I would probably need another one at a later date and tbh wile I am managing the pain and still being mobile I am going to try and stick it out till I retire in another 7 years but if it does get worse I will do what you have suggested .

He’s fobbing you off . They do a resurfacing on younger patients, this then allows them to do a proper hip replacement at a later date when it wares out , but they reckon they are good for 20 years. No one should have to put up with pain . But then there’s pain and then there is discomfort? When I had mine done  I could hardly walk , and I had to pluck up courage to walk a few steps . Only you know your own body , if you can put up with it , then it’s up to you . 

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 2