My pride and joy 'twenty quid' knife :laugh: needs a regrind. It's had a pretty hard month with nothing more than the odd touch up with a fine paddle field sharpener and it's got a few chips that need sorting.

My go to sharpening regime is the soft Arkansas followed by the buffing wheel but I'll be all f***ing month trying to remove those chips with the Arkansas so I'm in the market for a course stone.

In the past with other knives I have used my lansky sharpening system jig thingy but it only has fixed angles and I want to maintain the Scandi grind. I'm done with that jig for good.

Being a course stone does it matter if it's a cheapo one?

PS yes I've bought another for the sake of twenty quid but I'm not binning good blades..... and it is bloody good!

One thing I could never do was sharpen a knife properly. I'd swear the set of butchers knives I have for deer do be worse after I go at them. The trowel I use bricklaying is sharper.?

• Haha 1

A flap disc on an angle grinder gives a quick re-grind. Be careful not to blue the blade...  if it a new disc and you don't put too much pressure on it will be fine. Dip in water if you think it is getting too hot. Also great for sharpening axes.

Griff

• Like 3
On 29/05/2019 at 13:45, Born Hunter said:

My pride and joy 'twenty quid' knife :laugh: needs a regrind. It's had a pretty hard month with nothing more than the odd touch up with a fine paddle field sharpener and it's got a few chips that need sorting.

My go to sharpening regime is the soft Arkansas followed by the buffing wheel but I'll be all f***ing month trying to remove those chips with the Arkansas so I'm in the market for a course stone.

In the past with other knives I have used my lansky sharpening system jig thingy but it only has fixed angles and I want to maintain the Scandi grind. I'm done with that jig for good.

Being a course stone does it matter if it's a cheapo one?

PS yes I've bought another for the sake of twenty quid but I'm not binning good blades..... and it is bloody good!

Get a twenty pound grinder sander from Aldi to go with your twenty pound knife, I get decent edges on knifes axes and sickle,s  with it before a final sharpen on something finer though axes and the like are sharp enough straight off the sander ?

BDFA4F87-02B7-4719-9A48-035C67CA1D23.jpeg

• Thanks 1