Ficam D / Vulcan

I used it for most of last season and I honestly don't think I noticed a difference in how they reacted. I did have ficam for more public areas just in case someone got stung so I could say in my risk assessment that I'd chosen ficam to keep em calmer....but personally I didn't see it. 

It's heavier and more stable when re filling the dr5 and dust stick meaning I got less exposure. But I think that it's a bit heavier and thicker ment it blocked the dr5 more when using it with 3 rods on. 

I react badly to ficam and my hand and face numb and tingly spots on em when iv been using it quite a bit. 

I wouldn't worry about cats unless your spraying it everywhere 

2 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I used it for most of last season and I honestly don't think I noticed a difference in how they reacted. I did have ficam for more public areas just in case someone got stung so I could say in my risk assessment that I'd chosen ficam to keep em calmer....but personally I didn't see it. 

It's heavier and more stable when re filling the dr5 and dust stick meaning I got less exposure. But I think that it's a bit heavier and thicker ment it blocked the dr5 more when using it with 3 rods on. 

I react badly to ficam and my hand and face numb and tingly spots on em when iv been using it quite a bit. 

I wouldn't worry about cats unless your spraying it everywhere 

I use to get that numb and tingly feeling from a product called muscatrol which is permethrin oil based liquid,its sold under the deadline brand nowadays. I don't get it from bendiocarb stuff and they say the human body gets rid of it quite quick.

You will Probably notice the reaction with wasp later in the season on larger nest with permethrin sometimes they react real bad, It acts like it burns the wax layer off there cuticle. 

If a insect is going to avoid a insecticide its probably going to be permethrin based due to its agitating properties.

In my opinion your probably going to risk a call back more (if at all) with permethrin due to it being fast acting where as bendiocarb is slower acting and will reduce insect avoidance.

Hope this years as good as last.

Atb

Surprised it took so long for changes in the UK, the US banned Ficam D (did they do the same for W?) years ago I understand.

Loads of stuff that worked really well has disappeared from the Pest Control portfolio over the years.    Ficam D is great for its job, absolutely great, in so much I have every confidence in its 1 visit, job done treatment, but apparently we have been killing ourselves and the environment as well with the stuff.   I can't remember when a replacement/alternative for a withdrawn product was ever as good as the original.

I guess we will see Ficam D total withdrawal in the not to distant future!

I often wonder just how dangerous/unsafe stuff that has been withdrawn is, are we just getting more risk averse, or are we simply understanding the risk better?!   I understand Vulcan (Permethrin)  is  a likely human carcinogen, so that doesn't exactly sound great, although the stuff is very popular round the world!

:hmm:

Edited by Deker

I rang killgerm for a chat, they reckon ficam is the first to have a label change, vulcan/quartz etc could well follow suit very shortly. Apparently we (the UK) are virtually the only ones using ficam as the go-to wasp killer in Europe. Tub of Vulcan came today, I'll have a try once the wasps appear. Still all bees so far

Hearing more and more about blockages, it even says on the tub they advise you to empty your duster every night. Was going to buy another Dr5, one for Ficam, one for Vulcan, but think I may just use Vulcan in my old dustick. 

Bendiocarb (Ficam) is most definitely bad for killing Cats along with Permethrin, Some pestys think Permethrin is a safer alternative but its not the case. Cats are very sensitive to both.

Now that Ficam cant be used in ground nests ect it will probably reduce poisonings from Ficam but now we might hear more from Permethrin based dusts.

On 30/05/2019 at 07:59, trappa said:

Hearing more and more about blockages, it even says on the tub they advise you to empty your duster every night. Was going to buy another Dr5, one for Ficam, one for Vulcan, but think I may just use Vulcan in my old dustick. 

Dr5 is a great tool but it can get messy when things go wrong lol

1 hour ago, unclepesta said:

Bendiocarb (Ficam) is most definitely bad for killing Cats along with Permethrin, Some pestys think Permethrin is a safer alternative but its not the case. Cats are very sensitive to both.

Now that Ficam cant be used in ground nests ect it will probably reduce poisonings from Ficam but now we might hear more from Permethrin based dusts.

Depends on the product. You'd struggle to kill a cat with Ficam D - it's only 1.25% w/w.

The version for ant, flea, bedbugs etc is 80% w/w.