a drop point Jäger with damascus

Hello,

fresh from my workbench, this Jäger with 10,7cm drop point blade from damascus steel.

The steel is from Norbert Bahls 1.2842, C100 and 75Ni8

Bronze guard, spacer from stellers sea cow and nice sexy sambar, still missing the pommel from bronze..

damascus_jaeger1.jpg.ab80a1c4a66f6bd9670918d42a1289ef.jpg

damascus_jaeger2.jpg.564941dc8688ca55f02be293e8965505.jpg

damascus_jaeger3.jpg.180ef6b158cca1d687f97062ec298614.jpg

Regards

Nicolas

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandfather Douglas was a blacksmith/farrier, he followed a line of blacksmiths/farriers, three generations before him. 

I spent every single moment I could with him in his shop. From the smallest piece of metal to the largest he could handle, he created simple tools, housewares/knife-wear, massive gates for mansions and estate houses, fireplace tools, and artistic pieces for homes and gardens. Best times of my life, were spent sitting on a tree stump not too far from the forge, all toasty warm with a cup of tea, and him with his little lid of whiskey, listening to stories of his adventures and long ago, or one of the many locals who would stop by to share a bit of gossip, or have a small job done for themselves.

Men like my Grandfather and yourself always amaze me, and I sit in awe of the talent and soul a man must possess to take something so cold and barren, and produce such warmth and beauty.

Lynn

Edited by Miss Lynn
I hate t's
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! 

I actually prefer to work with steel and bronze as it's hard and working with hand tools, you won't ruin the work with a wrong movement. 

I tried to do my own leather sheaths and I stopped as I don't like to work material that soft, scratches easily etc. 

With files and sandpaper you take of only tenth of millimeters each stroke, and little by little, the shapes you want will come out. 

Just file everything away that doesn't look like you knife you have in mind ;)

Regards 

Nicolas 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...