Advice on training my 8month old Bull X on the lamp

Im after abit of advice on training my 8month old bull X on the lamp.its my first dog I have had from being 9 weeks but have always been out with other lads. Wouldn’t say I’m a 100% newbie but still have a lot to learn. Any help is appreciated 

12C1E2E5-3C95-4133-9981-0F602D8BE6AD.jpeg

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here goes, cos alot on here will disagree. But even in september, pup will still only be 12 months old? And that's still very young for any lurcher. Take your time S L O W L Y mate. Come the season, s

That's it d keep it short and sweet dunt confuse the lad

we keep a few horses on a friends farm,they got sheep,cows etc,my young bitch been around them all since first jabs,no problem, stock broken from day 1, cant walk a dog in wales without it being stock

Posted Images

Get all the training done and dusted because chances are it won't need any encouragement. Then come september it will be perfect for some easy runs on the bunnies to get the confidence done and dusted

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

Here goes, cos alot on here will disagree. But even in september, pup will still only be 12 months old? And that's still very young for any lurcher. Take your time S L O W L Y mate. Come the season, say september, just take him out when conditions are favorable, and just give him two or three runs a night. Build it up slowly and surely. 

Nice looking pup by the way ?

• Like 9
3 minutes ago, poxon said:

Recall,recall,recall

spot on mate, another  is stay and wait, it could save the dogs life one day, personally i would have had the pup out at 10 weeks old, just  learning its field craft , thats stock, ditches, b/w fences , gates all these things  so at that pup age 8 month old he know exactly  what all were , because loose a  8-12 month pup out at night  running  about 35mph  chasing a rabbit it going to get hurt or killed one night. been it this age now , just chuck a tennis ball  few yards with lamp on it , get it bring back , and it doing recall  as well, me self i wouldn't  do nothing till august , just do the above then for a month, so the dog looking down the beam, once it runs a rabbit , it will all go out the window , but just keep doing as i said and it will all click , but plenty of time it only pup no rush .

• Like 1

Grounds to hard in these months,once stubbles been ploughe in and the wheat sown,thats time to start.now should be recall,retrieve,stock breaking,good grub and lots,bonding,ready to let loose sept.10 to 12 months is fine to bring on slowly .if the dogs trained right.

• Like 1

Tbh fella it’s all your shout what you teach I say the minimum is a good recall for a point an aim dog for one job if ya get what I mean but teach a extension of recall if you want a retriever. I remember getting a hammering for my last bitch got called all the names under the sun because I said what’s the point in stock breaking a dog that never is near any stock my last place I lived if I wanted to I could lamp 7nights a week not that I did 7 nights a week it was all arable land I didn’t even need a dog that could jump as all entrances were un gated her first bit of entering to stock was a day I was asked out by my cousin ferreting my little ferreting dog was in the sick bay with ligament damage he said bring the big lamp bitch I told him she’s not ferret broken he said f**k all that she’s not stupid plus I’ve plenty of ferrets if she kills one her ferreting career stops lol she learned the ferret was friend an produced rabbits for her to catch she became a permanent member of the team out regularly she was about 3yrs old she was about 3 1/2 when I decided to buy 2x hybrid laying hens for eggs I thought here we go I see her look at them like they were a object to catch an kill when I first bought them but straight away I was on to that shit I told her NO! In my best barman voice ?? she never bothered with them I was a bit weary to start with but I’d alway take her along to feed them after a while she’d be out in the garden with them most day no problems at all she didn’t see farm stock till probably just over 4yrs old and that was because I took her to them she never had any sign of interest in them from day one I’ve ran her through sheep loads of time never had no problems When I’ve been on the poach tbh I think I just got lucky with her long story short I moved locations were stock is about daily my young bitch I haven’t stock broke her as such she just fitted in she mimicked her mum she was about 6month old first time she see stock if they were worth running her mum would be running them so she’s no interest this young bitch I’ve taught  recall,retrieve,walk to heal jump obstacles and on command,sit,stay and to work to hand signals she’s self taught stock breaking  just by fitting in day to day life but to be honest as much as I like having a pretty decent trained dog I mean so much of it isn’t really needed as bad as it sounds depending on your location an if you do nights out for nights out all of what I’ve taught is redundant bar recall or the extension of recall retrieving she don’t need to jump in to fields really at all the new local land has sties but if out on the beam I don’t even need to recall her she knows what’s expected of her she picked the lamp game up stupid quickly to her lamp on means look release off slip because I use slip lead means go lamp off means recall and hopefully with a retrieve it’s only like that because of recall an the willing to please me even out ferreting she’s just fitted in and out bushing if I’ve seen something she’s not I recall her an point to the direction or point to we’re ive seen something an leaves it to her i personally believe everything with having a working dog is around a recall be it lamping,bushing,ferreting if there’s no recall it don’t work for you it works for its self 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, poxon said:

Tbh fella it’s all your shout what you teach I say the minimum is a good recall for a point an aim dog for one job if ya get what I mean but teach a extension of recall if you want a retriever. I remember getting a hammering for my last bitch got called all the names under the sun because I said what’s the point in stock breaking a dog that never is near any stock my last place I lived if I wanted to I could lamp 7nights a week not that I did 7 nights a week it was all arable land I didn’t even need a dog that could jump as all entrances were un gated her first bit of entering to stock was a day I was asked out by my cousin ferreting my little ferreting dog was in the sick bay with ligament damage he said bring the big lamp bitch I told him she’s not ferret broken he said f**k all that she’s not stupid plus I’ve plenty of ferrets if she kills one her ferreting career stops lol she learned the ferret was friend an produced rabbits for her to catch she became a permanent member of the team out regularly she was about 3yrs old she was about 3 1/2 when I decided to buy 2x hybrid laying hens for eggs I thought here we go I see her look at them like they were a object to catch an kill when I first bought them but straight away I was on to that shit I told her NO! In my best barman voice ?? she never bothered with them I was a bit weary to start with but I’d alway take her along to feed them after a while she’d be out in the garden with them most day no problems at all she didn’t see farm stock till probably just over 4yrs old and that was because I took her to them she never had any sign of interest in them from day one I’ve ran her through sheep loads of time never had no problems When I’ve been on the poach tbh I think I just got lucky with her long story short I moved locations were stock is about daily my young bitch I haven’t stock broke her as such she just fitted in she mimicked her mum she was about 6month old first time she see stock if they were worth running her mum would be running them so she’s no interest this young bitch I’ve taught  recall,retrieve,walk to heal jump obstacles and on command,sit,stay and to work to hand signals she’s self taught stock breaking  just by fitting in day to day life but to be honest as much as I like having a pretty decent trained dog I mean so much of it isn’t really needed as bad as it sounds depending on your location an if you do nights out for nights out all of what I’ve taught is redundant bar recall or the extension of recall retrieving she don’t need to jump in to fields really at all the new local land has sties but if out on the beam I don’t even need to recall her she knows what’s expected of her she picked the lamp game up stupid quickly to her lamp on means look release off slip because I use slip lead means go lamp off means recall and hopefully with a retrieve it’s only like that because of recall an the willing to please me even out ferreting she’s just fitted in and out bushing if I’ve seen something she’s not I recall her an point to the direction or point to we’re ive seen something an leaves it to her i personally believe everything with having a working dog is around a recall be it lamping,bushing,ferreting if there’s no recall it don’t work for you it works for its self 

That's it d keep it short and sweet dunt confuse the lad

• Haha 7
22 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

So basically do what poxon said,dont train it,it will all come good.

I’ve not said that I’ve said what I done as I didn’t require nothing else at the time as the land had no stock no obstacles to jump but got lucky with everything else my point being why train something you’r not going to use or need from a dog it’s dead time when time can be spent training something your going to need the dog to do like a recall to a good level I don’t know the lads individual requirements from his dog that’s up to him to decide but worked very well for me.