For the knife makers .....

Changing the blade on this old knife for my mother and after removing the old pin a piece chipped off the handle ... it’s some sort of antler and has turned yellow with age ... any ideas how to fix this ??? 

6CC31BE5-D147-4FBD-86B4-CFB897611329.jpeg

A2F1D677-B819-4AC5-8F8D-867A335A8802.jpeg

11 minutes ago, socks said:

She wants the antler that colour BUT if I can change her mind what is the process for colouring using coffee mate .......

just make some strong coffee  dunk it in till you get desired coulor   try it on a test piece first  atleast it will be same all over ,there is other ways of couloring  think it can be done with pottasium permanganate aswell  just look on u tube  ,couloring antler .

• Like 1
9 hours ago, socks said:

She wants the antler that colour BUT if I can change her mind what is the process for colouring using coffee mate .......

I’ve used fiebings dark brown leather dye for antler , make it as dark or light as you want put it on then rub it off with nail vanish remover to the desired colour 

i like mine realy dark . 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7
On 25/05/2019 at 10:00, socks said:

Changing the blade on this old knife for my mother and after removing the old pin a piece chipped off the handle ... it’s some sort of antler and has turned yellow with age ... any ideas how to fix this ??? 

It is that light i would just use epoxy by itself or some resin. Fill it plenty then rub it back and polish it when it is set.

Griff

• Like 1