Sign in to follow this  
timmytree

Why the GLs were revoked, thank you NE and DEFRA

https://wildjustice.org.uk/general/...e-to-the-general-licences-gl04-gl05-and-gl06/

That includes everything including the legal letters from Leigh Day solicitors/barristers.
NE first knew of the challenge in January.

The official challenge was issued in Feb, pre action, which meant court could be avoided.

Defra knew about it but between Defra and NE they managed to sit on it until the time had nearly expired and Legal action was almost inevitable. NE asked for another 2 weeks, WJ gave 1 week.

If you manage to read it all it's clear that the Lawyers and WJ only asked that BEFORE things went legal that NE agree for a thorough review of the GLs ready for the 2020 season.

Again, more delay from NE and DEFRA who DID know what was happening because Gove was also sent the paperwork from the lawyers.

Once a legal challenge had been officially started NE wasted more time until revoking the GL.

All that information is direct from Leigh Day who I am inclined to believe more than NE or WJ.

It seems the Magpies around here and on my permissions know they can't be shot at the moment lol, I pity the predation on the song birds this year . Annoying thing is even with the older GL the pest species numbers where still increasing so it will be interesting to see what the new GL guidelines are .

ive notice a lot more maggies this year,but if you cant shoot them as you say its the smaller birds I feel sorry for at nesting time

So wild justice head office is just down the road from me in a grotty little town, they may like to come out and see the blind newborn stock that have had both eyes picked out by crows and jackdaws !

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that now we've got GLs for crows and woodies we won't see anything else issued. NE did the first GLs and handed the responsibility to DEFRA who don't seem at all interested.

No control over magpies in particular is plain stupid but I reckon that's it for good.

12 hours ago, Rabid said:

So wild justice head office is just down the road from me in a grotty little town, they may like to come out and see the blind newborn stock that have had both eyes picked out by crows and jackdaws !

Why weren't the crows and jackdaws being shot?

8 minutes ago, Rabid said:

Did you miss the part where it was illegal to do anything ?

Did you miss the part where a new GL was issued for crows? I believe it was 3rd May. If they are actively attacking livestock you can shoot crows immediately.

GL 26 for crows.

Edited by timmytree

36 minutes ago, timmytree said:

Did you miss the part where a new GL was issued for crows? I believe it was 3rd May. If they are actively attacking livestock you can shoot crows immediately.

GL 26 for crows.

And what about the part between the general licence been revoked and the new one coming into force (even though I think the new one is not fit for purpose and leaves me vulnerable to court proceedings)

I also presume you applied for the personal licence just as we did and will know exactly how much ball ache and time consuming it was ?

whichever way you look at it we were left with no options other than let them get on with it or break the law.

3 hours ago, Rabid said:

And what about the part between the general licence been revoked and the new one coming into force (even though I think the new one is not fit for purpose and leaves me vulnerable to court proceedings)

I also presume you applied for the personal licence just as we did and will know exactly how much ball ache and time consuming it was ?

whichever way you look at it we were left with no options other than let them get on with it or break the law.

No I didn't apply for the individual licence. I waited for GL26. 

We all have our own views but mine is that if deterrents keep crows away from sheep then fine. If they don't, if crows are actively attacking then shoot them. At the meeting that I highlighted Marian Spain from NE agreed that was the only option, also highlighted by the chair of the meeting who is a farmer.

all well and good but the new GL 26 does not cover dairy farms 

so i applyed for a 1904 3 weeks ago and still got nothing back  

ive phoned NE loads of times but cant get to talk to any one regarding the issue of licences

sucks 

7 minutes ago, David.evans said:

all well and good but the new GL 26 does not cover dairy farms 

so i applyed for a 1904 3 weeks ago and still got nothing back  

ive phoned NE loads of times but cant get to talk to any one regarding the issue of licences

sucks 

I agree David, if DEFRA hadn't taken over we may have had a GL to cover your situation by now but it looks to me as though Gove has decided to concentrate on trying to be a Prime Minister.