Best bait for eels

Been baiting swim for last 3 evenings with meat pellet and corn mixture going in couple hours for a little session fair few tench coming out so hopefully get my first of year gonna stay till midnight hope no one in my peg ????

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ha finally after fishing a pond for two years finally got myself a nice little eel to be proud of best one I’ve ever had got to have been 5 if not a little more ?

Nipper loves em.... 

Think I may have put it in before but as we are on eels 4lber on worms 

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Robbusher said:

Been baiting swim for last 3 evenings with meat pellet and corn mixture going in couple hours for a little session fair few tench coming out so hopefully get my first of year gonna stay till midnight hope no one in my peg ????

Tench used to be one of my favourite fish to catch have had some cracking tench sessions used to get there just before it got light, bit of brown ground bait and fishing over the top with corn or just the head of a worm, right next to the reeds. Have fallen out of love with coarse fishing and same old fish and scenery tight lines lol ?

I love eel fishing, used to do quite a lot in my teens. You'll catch them on most things often by mistake but I always found garden worms caught the most. Ideally the really big fat ones. you can rig two hooks in line like in sea fishing to present the worm a bit better, I found you got better hook holds like that for some reason. 

Fish evenings in really muggy thundery weather if you can they seem to be more active then. 

Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2019 at 21:08, tomburras said:

Awesome use raw king prawns and use minimum resistance and good luck.

Tom, up your game......smoked eel is on my Christmas menu again this year....

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

There used to be a very good eel spot near me called esk it's a big reservoir next to the river hull. Seals and otters have just about wiped it out now. Anyways me and a pal wanted to catch a big eel so went there sounded and looked perfect very large water within 20 feet of a big river so off we went. Had about 10 different baits worms, mussels, prawns, roach heads well bits of all sorts. So we got setup and  casted out 5/6 hours later not a sniff. I was just moving my bank stick with my head torch on and seen loads of silver fish drawn to the light and seen an eel attack the group of small fish. So I put the light on the water and netted 10 or 20 of them they turned out to be small roach and used them as a live bait on a small helli rig hooked in top fin. Within 10 min or casting out we had our first eel over the next 5 hours we had over 20 eels between us smallest about 2foot up to close to 4 foot and thick as my arm ended been a very good night eel fishing. 

• Like 2