Best bait for eels

9 hours ago, Our team said:

Masive lob worm. Bigger the better on a size 18  big barb so it don't  wriggle off.  That's all you need. Don't forget they got small mouths hence the small hook..  Another crafty way is chicken livers  loads of them put in womens old tights. Wrap tights round loads of times. So it's gushing out juices   secure it to a rope and drop in side. Just pic up now and then through night. Them sharp Teeth get tangled in netting..  Job done. 

Iv always found small hooks dissappear out of sight down their throat so I use an 8 and definately barbless too so they can easily shed it if they gets deep hooked. A raw kink prawn can be slid up the shank and hold securely for a decent cast too while the hook point is just proud. Iv been experimenting with the twin or snig rig using 2.5 inch long 1mm solid carbon rods and pole float rubbers on each end and not had a single deep hooked eel on this rig. And for unhooking the best thing I ever Baught for unhooking eels is a slammo discorger, it completely covers the hook point on the way out and these have really helped me out of some difficult unhooking situations even with their mouth shut.

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ha finally after fishing a pond for two years finally got myself a nice little eel to be proud of best one I’ve ever had got to have been 5 if not a little more ?

Nipper loves em.... 

Think I may have put it in before but as we are on eels 4lber on worms 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Robbusher said:

Unfortunately no eels last night couple roach on corn no tench or carp I’m gonna have another go in different peg after baby born and can get out for night 

Thats a shame.....  I found my eel venues looking on Google maps with it in default mode (not satalite) so you can see where small water ways run close to ponds or lakes. Good luck and all the best for your new baby and your eel fishing!

25 minutes ago, tomburras said:

Iv always found small hooks dissappear out of sight down their throat so I use an 8 and definately barbless too so they can easily shed it if they gets deep hooked. A raw kink prawn can be slid up the shank and hold securely for a decent cast too while the hook point is just proud. Iv been experimenting with the twin or snig rig using 2.5 inch long 1mm solid carbon rods and pole float rubbers on each end and not had a single deep hooked eel on this rig. And for unhooking the best thing I ever Baught for unhooking eels is a slammo discorger, it completely covers the hook point on the way out and these have really helped me out of some difficult unhooking situations even with their mouth shut.

I just cut there throats  

5 minutes ago, Our team said:

I just cut there throats  

Fair enough then if your not fishing catch and release. I like to release mine as they are in decline and they will be there to catch again in the future.

Do you eat them? If so how do you cook them? Cheers. Tom. 

1 minute ago, tomburras said:

Fair enough then if your not fishing catch and release. I like to release mine as they are in decline and they will be there to catch again in the future.

Do you eat them? If so how do you cook them? Cheers. Tom. 

I haven't had any for yrs now. Not done much relaxation with work and busy life.. Yes I eat them. And put em in salt water over night. Real heavy salt   then just simply grill or fry them... With hurbs and what not.. ? Didn't know in decline. Must be all over fished like anything in englsnd these days... 

9 minutes ago, Our team said:

I haven't had any for yrs now. Not done much relaxation with work and busy life.. Yes I eat them. And put em in salt water over night. Real heavy salt   then just simply grill or fry them... With hurbs and what not.. ? Didn't know in decline. Must be all over fished like anything in englsnd these days... 

Yes they get over fished....

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2018/october/you-are-probably-completely-unaware-of-the-largest-wildlife-crime.html

It's a big shame. When my dad was a kid he would get an eel a chuck on the rivers.  Years ago the environment agency shifted thousands into the aire locally and these have done well I catch these when I fish the aire....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest/thousands-of-eels-are-released-into-the-river-aire-1-2090699/amp

It would be great if this was done more often into our rivers! They have fitted fish passes and eel boards on the wiers round here too. 

I imagine a smoked eel would be nice but I've not braught myself to kill one yet ?

24 minutes ago, tomburras said:

Yes they get over fished....

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2018/october/you-are-probably-completely-unaware-of-the-largest-wildlife-crime.html

It's a big shame. When my dad was a kid he would get an eel a chuck on the rivers.  Years ago the environment agency shifted thousands into the aire locally and these have done well I catch these when I fish the aire....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest/thousands-of-eels-are-released-into-the-river-aire-1-2090699/amp

It would be great if this was done more often into our rivers! They have fitted fish passes and eel boards on the wiers round here too. 

I imagine a smoked eel would be nice but I've not braught myself to kill one yet ?

Bloodyhell... Shame.. 

Yes smoke would be nice. We use to cut there throats yrs ago like your dad said . There were loads. And they would still be wriggling hrs later back home.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Our team said:

Bloodyhell... Shame.. 

Yes smoke would be nice. We use to cut there throats yrs ago like your dad said . There were loads. And they would still be wriggling hrs later back home.  

I know what you mean. I took one home as a kid the bag was rustling all night. Very creepy lol.