Skinny nursing jill

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As said keep feeding her she will be fine I use full fat natural goats yogurt for the kits and jills along with chicken / rabbit mince then move on to rabbits chicken wings etc had a few litters of 10

I might just get myself shot down here, but years ago when I did keep ferrets I can honestly say I don't think they got any dried food whatsoever, I don't even think the thought of feeding dried food

Touchy huh...........after 6 months of dry food you won't lose a ferret...............you will see them glowing from 50yds 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Our team said:

Haha yep sooped up to bolloxs  it might aswell be with harden in it.. 

A guns a tool in our line of work if it gets wet or scratched its part of life mate 

9 hours ago, Our team said:

A lot of folk I know feed kibble dogs and nothing else.. 

While dogs are carnivores, they do produce amylase (needed to process starchy carbohydrates into simple sugars) which is added in the pancreas and small intestine.  Ferrets are obligate carnivores as their digestive systems lack the physiology to process plant matter.  Plus, there appears to be a strong link between a high carbohydrate diet (such as kibble) and the development of insulinoma in ferrets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Years ago ferrets were fed slops the good old bread and milk  they survived on it but nobody claimed it was great for them and as a treat they maybe got the rabbits head that the family couldn't eat .I'm wondering in years to come if research will show that the dry ferret food has the same result its no great for the ferrets but handy for the owners to feed during the summer time ?. it cant be too good for them as there water intake nearly doubles when fed on that stuff 

• Like 3

Your not going to lose her or the kits it will obviously feed them but it is designed in a lab and made in a factory it has additives added to keep it fresher longer that can’t be as good as a natural raw diet ... chudleys ferret food is 45% chicken .... if I give my ferrets chicken they are getting 100% chicken .....

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Our team said:

My six kitts are 3 "weeks old  18 th June  and they look propper fit and all equal size. And the Jill may well have lost weight  and I believe all lose weight lactating.  However her milk on mainly kibble mix is doing her fine.and her  kits .. 

My nursing jills all lost weight when I was feeding kibble, even if they only had 5-6 kits.  Once I switched to a natural raw/whole prey diet, they not only kept their weight and condition (and that includes jills who raised 10 or more kits) but the kits were in much better weight and condition, as well.  

• Like 2

So before you go to work you have a bowl of alpine . then lunch time a bowl of alpine tea time a bowl of alpine , ? no chance but you will survive on it and there will be no flies LOL 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I might just get myself shot down here, but years ago when I did keep ferrets I can honestly say I don't think they got any dried food whatsoever, I don't even think the thought of feeding dried food to a ferret ever crossed my mind. My feeding method was a .22 B.S.A Meteor, pigeons rabbits pheasants the odd blackbird and starling and any other form of fur and feather that I came across. To be honest I think they were the easiest animal I've ever kept to feed and please, clean beds and plenty of fresh water and they were perfectly happy. Why anybody would want to feed all this factory food to them is beyond me unless I'm missing something? it cannot be for a balanced diet surely, polecats or ferrets that have gone feral survive just fine without the added nutrients from Pets at Home.

Feel free to tell if I am out of touch and ferrets have evolved in the last 25-30 years        

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1