Skinny nursing jill

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As said keep feeding her she will be fine I use full fat natural goats yogurt for the kits and jills along with chicken / rabbit mince then move on to rabbits chicken wings etc had a few litters of 10

I might just get myself shot down here, but years ago when I did keep ferrets I can honestly say I don't think they got any dried food whatsoever, I don't even think the thought of feeding dried food

Touchy huh...........after 6 months of dry food you won't lose a ferret...............you will see them glowing from 50yds 

Posted Images

fair enough,my hutches are inside my lurcher runs,as I've got a few old  terriers that can't be trusted? padlocks on aswel because the little uns and their friends have left them open in the past?lost some good working stock?

All 11 babies are growing fast. I’m feeding them continuously. MEAT, minced rabbit, pigeon, rats etc. Meat will always be best for mustilids of any kind.

BUT, I will offer kibble too, some of the homes I have lined up for my babies are going to have them as pets and not workers and they won’t all have access to meat  and that is up to them, as long as they are being looked after and loved, it’s the owners choice what they feed them. By offering variety, it will be an easier transition for the new owners. But mine primarily eat meat, even in the summer. I just remove leftovers when they spoil. 

The purpose of this thread was for me to get some ideas of things that I can offer my Jill that are nutritionally dense and will keep her going while she is feeding 11 babies. Some of the suggestions have been helpful, some less so. 

She is putting weight back on and the kits will be 4 weeks tomorrow so I think we are out of the danger zone. 

I was hoping to have a polecat in the litter, as the Jill had polecat siblings, but the parents dna won out. Genetics are fun. 

5730AE70-5437-4826-AEF5-CB2CEBC129DA.jpeg

FDFAA6E6-5B83-415F-8688-931C1EF2D08F.jpeg

2DEF8D97-E240-419C-9F5F-8015973CF024.jpeg

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, Our team said:

My Jill still only on kibble and chicks she's doing fine .. But we hating this weather ..   When they ready to feed I'm using kitten food and ground kibble  then when they propper ready  day old chicks  and after that they should be all gone... Them I'm gunna feed her up with all the game she can handle... And kibble 

Good luck there no kittens and the big teeth are for eating meat but you pump your kitten food and kibble into them 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Winterwitch said:

All 11 babies are growing fast. I’m feeding them continuously. MEAT, minced rabbit, pigeon, rats etc. Meat will always be best for mustilids of any kind.

BUT, I will offer kibble too, some of the homes I have lined up for my babies are going to have them as pets and not workers and they won’t all have access to meat  and that is up to them, as long as they are being looked after and loved, it’s the owners choice what they feed them. By offering variety, it will be an easier transition for the new owners. But mine primarily eat meat, even in the summer. I just remove leftovers when they spoil. 

The purpose of this thread was for me to get some ideas of things that I can offer my Jill that are nutritionally dense and will keep her going while she is feeding 11 babies. Some of the suggestions have been helpful, some less so. 

She is putting weight back on and the kits will be 4 weeks tomorrow so I think we are out of the danger zone. 

I was hoping to have a polecat in the litter, as the Jill had polecat siblings, but the parents dna won out. Genetics are fun. 

5730AE70-5437-4826-AEF5-CB2CEBC129DA.jpeg

FDFAA6E6-5B83-415F-8688-931C1EF2D08F.jpeg

2DEF8D97-E240-419C-9F5F-8015973CF024.jpeg

They look great. Well done.  I know it's your first litter and it can be over well meaning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/06/2019 at 11:16, Our team said:

Yes I know that. Like I said day old chicks  thats what there mother in wild would be teaching them  easy prey this time of Yr and baby kit rabbits in Warren's.  Plus she would no doubt catch a big bunny and they all chow down on it. But she would be teaching them easy catch foods and birds nest. So they know the crack.  I'm just copying that.  like I said there eyes ain't open yet  should be this week..  And while she was in kit in the wild she wouldn't leave them long  as she lactating.. She would go for easy prey and take them back for herself.. I'm just kibbling her out cos it's got all nutritional and vitamin values she must have... 

There's a quote I've found to be very accurate:  "Ferrets survive on kibble, they thrive on raw."   I switched from feeding top quality kibble more than 15 years ago to feeding a raw/whole prey diet.  Not only did  the overall condition of the adults improve, as well as their coats and muscling,  but I was amazed at how much better the kits developed on a natural diet.  You are aware, I hope, that day old chicks don't have any nutritional value.  

Edited by ferret lady
correction
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, Our team said:

I've looked and looked  right across the spectrum even feeding to lizards and snakes day old chick are good.. I get week old chicks... They do me fine in my busy life at moment. Along side good quality kibble. 

Snakes and lizards should only get day old chicks as the odd treat, they contain little nutrition for reptiles so for lizards you need to dust them in calcium and a multivitamin 

F9774132-B7A7-45EB-A960-BA4FFDC795C0.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Our team said:

Yes I know. I'm just proving  chicks are a good source of everything.. As explained.. And for any meat eating species.. 

Chicks are a good source of fukc all .......

• Like 3