Skinny nursing jill

Ferreting has become my main hobbie past time... there is something about having a dog to tell you where the rabbits are, and using a ferret to aid in catching quarry in nets that you have made yourself.

Only trouble is cant ferret all year.

Also enjoy sub 12ftlb air rifle shooting at only rabbits, squizzers and rats. (No birds now)

I read your ferrets come to a call.

Mine come to a dog sqeeky toy very handy if one gets on something down the hole.

Give it ago youll love it.

Secondly ferrets make wonderful companions my children love playing and taking them out over the local playing field.

FF

Edited by Furrosious ferreter
  • Like 1

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As said keep feeding her she will be fine I use full fat natural goats yogurt for the kits and jills along with chicken / rabbit mince then move on to rabbits chicken wings etc had a few litters of 10

I might just get myself shot down here, but years ago when I did keep ferrets I can honestly say I don't think they got any dried food whatsoever, I don't even think the thought of feeding dried food

Touchy huh...........after 6 months of dry food you won't lose a ferret...............you will see them glowing from 50yds 

Posted Images

I say they come to call, but I think it’s more they respond to the sound of my voice. I always make sure to call them when I go to their enclosures and give them something when they come to me. They’ve learned that my voice means snacks! 

Im always frightened that with instincts in the mix, if they get down the holes and find something, they won’t bother coming back! I’m quite attached to them now. 

A squeaky toy is a good idea, I’ll give that one a go too. 

We shoot every winter (husband shoots, I go beating - I don’t have a gun that fits me yet), our black lab is an excellent gundog despite no formal training. It wouldn’t be difficult to direct his instincts to finding rabbits. 

The wonderful thing with the ferrets is that they can eat what we catch. They are such a cheap pet. I have the added bonus of living next door to vets, so I get on the doorstep advice and meds usually for free or in exchange for a Victoria sponge! 

Mk2 is a pile of shit hence the reason nobody buys them. The mk3 is a brilliant locator and you can dig down on top of the ferret pretty much every time. I don’t take my batteries out and they last for months just keep the box and the collars separate so that the collars don’t turn on. 

• Like 1
On 30/05/2019 at 10:19, Winterwitch said:

Well, I’m happily married so weirdos shall be ignored, dick pics will be posted on social media for lols. Fire away ?

in seriousness though, where are the rest of the gals??

In the kitchen 

On 30/05/2019 at 12:45, Lee farrington said:

FFS Every thread seems to get ruined all of a sudden GO AWAY OT

Lee, there are men on here who have been on for years, and they can ruin a thread a lot quicker than OT, he's still learning when it comes to ruining threads lol

3 minutes ago, Our team said:

Watch batteries last 300 hrs max. So ya don't go out much if they last you six month.. ?

I am out everyday it’s what I do for a living ... and I never mentioned 6 months. 

16 hours ago, Winterwitch said:

They are intended for working, we are doing some informal training,  they haven’t been in the field yet. Husband bought them for working and I hijacked them. 

We have a lot of involvement with farming and already get involved with pest control on the shooting side of things. 

We are still learning with regards to ferreting. You’ve got to start somewhere right? 

What do you all do? 

I'd seperate them from the Jill as early as possible too when there is that many. She will soon get sick of them if 11 torture her for milk when they are stronger. I had a Jill that ended up eating 5 out 7 of her young when I thought they were in the safe zone. I had another die after he got his head out and ate a piece of Lino cover I had sheltering the cage. Ferrets don't have good digestive systems for foreign objects. If that was a dog it would of passed it through.

4 minutes ago, Our team said:

No they won't. At all.  That battery is draining all time cos its connected its a watch battery they drain out when connected. All battries do.. That's why I take mine out. Cos I don't go out much.   As I've got young  workers all round..     I just think what ever I say the same old  just jump on it and then blame me... Its a debate don't get mardy.. I laugh my head off lots.... ?

it's not connected if its not near the receiver. its called mk3m it's magnetic so conection is off. 

2 hours ago, delswal said:

Lee, there are men on here who have been on for years, and they can ruin a thread a lot quicker than OT, he's still learning when it comes to ruining threads lol

God knows what it will be like when he has 

2 hours ago, Our team said:

I'm easy to blame.. They follow each others bum holes.. 

Every thread that's going on is fine until you start to comment 

2 hours ago, Our team said:

Watch battries  in  in mk 3  collars. Last 300 hrs. Not months at all.. So what are you on about??!! 

So let’s say your correct and the batteries last 300 hours .... if they were on say an average of 5 hours every day they would last 60 days so yes months. The normal ferreter that’s out once or twice a week would have a seasons worth out of its batteries ...... 

• Like 1