NZ South Island 2019

Here's a few pictures that Kurt took and has just posted. That tanned rug, the cleaned heads and the green cape will hopefully be en-route to the taxidermist. Be a while before they arrive here.

In the meantime I'm gonna work on getting some UK skins added to my collection, probably a muntjac and a fallow, now that I have found a tannery.

1765585891_NZ1-Copy.jpg.215c9d419de99295290b32237ecb61d1.jpg

NZ2.jpg.aa7e976654391da3620414ccd9d9184d.jpg

NZ3.jpg.21fcba65679824c48c4f59496e1a39f0.jpg

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So as a few of you know, I've recently had a few weeks hunting around New Zealand's South Island. I did all sorts so not really sure where to put this thread but the main hunt was Himalayan Tahr in th

Sorted.... I think. Right... This is pretty much where the evening played out. We watched two small mobs with a bull or two party to each slowly descend, hoping that they would close distance for

Sometime in the morning before the sunrise we were up for some more freeze dried cuisine in preparation to find our kills and maybe drop another. I forgot to mention that just after I had shot mine an

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Balaur said:

Nice to have something as a reminder with a personal story behind it. How does the tanner work do you send them a wet skin? Atb Joe 

I just love the aesthetic of skins, fur, horns, bone, antler, waney edged timber, forged iron, rocks, shells etc etc. I had a female mate help me 'dress' my house a few months back and her main comment was "ermmmm, less antlers":laugh: I'm looking to Kimmy Greentree and Rachel Carrie for inspiration now. "Hunter sheek" another mate describes it! :laugh:

On my way to the airport we dropped by the tannery with a wet 'salted' skin, bagged it, tagged it, handed over $250(NZ) and left it for Kurt to deal with. In the UK for my deer skins I expect I'll salt heavily then roll and vac pac for a next day delivery to the tannery.

• Like 1
On 11/10/2019 at 15:17, Born Hunter said:

I just love the aesthetic of skins, fur, horns, bone, antler, waney edged timber, forged iron, rocks, shells etc etc. I had a female mate help me 'dress' my house a few months back and her main comment was "ermmmm, less antlers":laugh: I'm looking to Kimmy Greentree and Rachel Carrie for inspiration now. "Hunter sheek" another mate describes it! :laugh:

On my way to the airport we dropped by the tannery with a wet 'salted' skin, bagged it, tagged it, handed over $250(NZ) and left it for Kurt to deal with. In the UK for my deer skins I expect I'll salt heavily then roll and vac pac for a next day delivery to the tannery.

Which tannery are you using?

12 minutes ago, Tyla said:

Which tannery are you using?

A quick google and I'm pretty sure it was THIS place. It was in Invercargill. There was basically a choice of two, the other one was a start up and cheaper but Kurt erred on the side of caution and went with his usual guy.

I wish I had got some of the possums I shot tanned too. Definitely next time!

THIS is the taxidermist he's sending the one for mounting to.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • 2 months later...

Absolutely cracking write up mate. The scenery and experience in general looks amazing. I plan on doing something similar myself in the (hopefully) near future.

Did you ever consider going down the Self-Guided route?

2 hours ago, WizzyH said:

Absolutely cracking write up mate. The scenery and experience in general looks amazing. I plan on doing something similar myself in the (hopefully) near future.

Did you ever consider going down the Self-Guided route?

I did, but I’m glad I went guided first time. Tahr live in big country! And I got to do stuff that I wouldn’t have self guided. I want to go back self guided, either walk in and out or helo in and walk out. Ideally with a couple others but I’d go alone if necessary.

• Like 1

An excellent read and full marks for everything, looks like the trip of a lifetime.

how much do the trophies cost to get done and shipped back.

stunning country and one I wish to visit eventually.

8 minutes ago, Rabid said:

An excellent read and full marks for everything, looks like the trip of a lifetime.

how much do the trophies cost to get done and shipped back.

stunning country and one I wish to visit eventually.

I don't know yet mate. I've cancelled the shoulder mount with the taxidermist due to the uncertainty over the government's trophy importation review. He's just mounting the two heads on shields now and shipping them over with the skin rug asap.

There was talk that a shoulder mount would be in the region of 1000 dollars kiwi (£500).