NZ South Island 2019

2 hours ago, Tyla said:

It was a pretty epic hunt, we'd been out since dawn and climbed up to the opposite side of the valley. We'd had a few roaring but nothing we could get close to. This guy replied once then came crashing in, could see his antler tops coming up the hill towards us above the fern and he was roaring all the way. He appeared at 20m but i could only see his back end, my mate took the shot and the stag was so pumped he didn't even notice but kept coming up the deer trail i was on. I shot him again at about 5m and dropped him. He was so close I didn't even use the scope just eyed down the barrel like a shot gun. That got the heart pumping I can tell you. He wasn't charging me but he was coming at speed up the trail and there was nowhere else for me to go. When we skinned him out the first shot was a solid chest shot with a 30.06 and he barely even flinched, shows how pumped they get in the roar

Recently found Journal of Mountain HuntingWhich, if anyone wanted to get into my head, would be a good place to start their study of me. :laugh: (Obviously I'm not that significant)

Anyway, you might like this article.

The Red Deer of New Zealand

:good:

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So as a few of you know, I've recently had a few weeks hunting around New Zealand's South Island. I did all sorts so not really sure where to put this thread but the main hunt was Himalayan Tahr in th

Sorted.... I think. Right... This is pretty much where the evening played out. We watched two small mobs with a bull or two party to each slowly descend, hoping that they would close distance for

Sometime in the morning before the sunrise we were up for some more freeze dried cuisine in preparation to find our kills and maybe drop another. I forgot to mention that just after I had shot mine an

Posted Images

Just thought I'd finish this thread off with a few touristy pics from my 2-3 day trip to Fiordland. These pics pretty well sum up the natural wonder Milford Sound. The third pic is Bowen falls, which is three times as high as Niagra.

Milford Sound2.jpg

Milford Sound1.jpg

Milford Sound3.jpg

Milford Sound4.jpg

Milford Sound5.jpg

Milford Sound6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The native bush and the mountainous rainforest of Fiordland felt incredibly 'prehistoric'. Jurassic Park and The Lost World were big inspirations in shaping my imagination as a youngster and that has stayed with me into my thirties! It was cool to experience such places. Really satisfied the child within. But it's also made me want to find other places like this, the giant Reddwoods of Cali and the national parks of Hawaii.

Similarly the vast wilderness of Patagonia holds quite an attraction to me and when I was in the Canterbury high country it instantly 'felt' like what I imagined I'd want from Patagonia. Funnily enough I'm not alone in that as I have recently read of other folks who have been to both say the same.

2 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Bravo, Sir! Bravo! :clapper:

Thread of the year contender for sure! :clapper:

Thanks for the write up it was nice to get away from the real world for a bit! :thumbs:

Thank you for exploding my notifications with likes.

”guess I’ll have a browse of THL..... Jesus Christ what shit storm have I got myself into!.... oh, CJ is back.” :laugh:

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Thank you for exploding my notifications with likes.

”guess I’ll have a browse of THL..... Jesus Christ what shit storm have I got myself into!.... oh, CJ is back.” :laugh:

It was a pleasure to read, mate! :thumbs:

Looks more than worth the hassle of putting it together!

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Bet you never had so many likes since ye had trendiest lunch box at first day a uni ? been a joy to read mate ?

I burned all my likes in this thread. Not a single mention of [redacted] or [redacted]... A THL first for me! :laugh:

Edited by ChrisJones
Redacted
  • 3 weeks later...

So Adam Greentree has just been rescue airlifted out of the Southern Alps on a solo bowhunt which turned bad. He has a video log of the trip, but it doesn't cover the shit part. Obviously he is more into the depths of winter, I was more autumn, and he didn't have a 4x4 to get in like we did but for anyone interested his video shows the crack.

Doing exactly what he is here is something I want to do in the near future. I'm confident enough now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

So Adam Greentree has just been rescue airlifted out of the Southern Alps on a solo bowhunt which turned bad. He has a video log of the trip, but it doesn't cover the shit part. Obviously he is more into the depths of winter, I was more autumn, and he didn't have a 4x4 to get in like we did but for anyone interested his video shows the crack.

Doing exactly what he is here is something I want to do in the near future. I'm confident enough now.

I will watch this later on TV,thanks for the heads-up.

5 minutes ago, mackem said:

I will watch this later on TV,thanks for the heads-up.

The footage of that untouchable tahr at 42:25, that's what it's all about!

To a non hunter it's just a hairy smelly goat that plods along the hills, doesn't make any sense why someone would want to 'hunt' them. But I understand now that they're kings on those mountains! Monarchs of such a beautiful wilderness.

I find Greentree really evokes the palaeolithic adventurer within. He fucks up and he pushes his luck but he's a man that doesn't let 'not being an expert' stop him from the base fulfilment he craves. I really admire that.

• Like 1
On 09/07/2019 at 08:05, Born Hunter said:

Just watched this then heard the story,could have had a whole different ending for him,the scenery was incredible.

• Like 1

Bloody hell mate...what a trip!

Just stumbled on this thread and lost half an hour as I couldn't stop reading....

Best thread on here in a very very long time, brilliantly written and great pics!

Somewhere I aim to go in the future, kayak fishing for GTs would be one off my hit list....not a shooting man but would love that bit of adventure!

Fantastic!!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...