NZ South Island 2019

What a trip, FairPlay to you glad it all went well, love the pics with the goat on your shoulders, look rather dashing for a geek? that’s what life should be like, would you like to return or have you further adventures to tick off ???

• Thanks 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So as a few of you know, I've recently had a few weeks hunting around New Zealand's South Island. I did all sorts so not really sure where to put this thread but the main hunt was Himalayan Tahr in th

Sorted.... I think. Right... This is pretty much where the evening played out. We watched two small mobs with a bull or two party to each slowly descend, hoping that they would close distance for

Sometime in the morning before the sunrise we were up for some more freeze dried cuisine in preparation to find our kills and maybe drop another. I forgot to mention that just after I had shot mine an

Posted Images

Who needs the Sporting Rifle or the Countryman's Weekly.  Best bloody write up I have read in a very long time.  You did it all lad, I think you must have ticked about 100 things off your bucket list. 

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Greyman said:

What a trip, FairPlay to you glad it all went well, love the pics with the goat on your shoulders, look rather dashing for a geek? that’s what life should be like, would you like to return or have you further adventures to tick off ???

Both! I’d like to return, it’s a sportsman’s/outdoorsmans paradise really. But there’s loads of other stuff I want to do and four or five ‘leads’ that might result in similar adventures so who knows.

Im away stalking now, not been in six months and really loving it. Ive seen a ton of roe, had a decent morning and hopefully add a few more to the chiller over the next 24hrs. Roe bucks in the rolling hills of England are quite different to Tahr in the Southern Alps :laugh: but it’s still charming in its own right.

Two of three from before breakfast. :good:

EAF71C98-5D54-4A50-BFC9-E464E352F0F0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Both! I’d like to return, it’s a sportsman’s/outdoorsmans paradise really. But there’s loads of other stuff I want to do and four or five ‘leads’ that might result in similar adventures so who knows.

Im away stalking now, not been in six months and really loving it. Ive seen a ton of roe, had a decent morning and hopefully add a few more to the chiller over the next 24hrs. Roe bucks in the rolling hills of England are quite different to Tahr in the Southern Alps :laugh: but it’s still charming in its own right.

Two of three from before breakfast. :good:

EAF71C98-5D54-4A50-BFC9-E464E352F0F0.jpeg

Nice pair, can't wait until I'm fit enough to get out and have a go at them myself, see them daily lol and cannot get at them ?

Excellent read mate throughly enjoyed that, Nz is a place I would love to visit and do similar things. The way you wrote that with all the excitement and enthusiasm made it a very interesting read, good on you for following your dreams I take my hat off to you ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, delswal said:

Nice pair, can't wait until I'm fit enough to get out and have a go at them myself, see them daily lol and cannot get at them ?

It must be frustrating. All the best with it though. :good:

How did you cope with the trekking . Watched a lot of steve rinella and he says a lot of people underestimate the difficulty of it . What kind of fitness do you have  did you do any prep and how did u find it

20 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

How did you cope with the trekking . Watched a lot of steve rinella and he says a lot of people underestimate the difficulty of it . What kind of fitness do you have  did you do any prep and how did u find it

Re Tahr hunting... There's no two ways about it, it's hard work! I consider myself quite capable in the field and it was pushing me, physically and mentally. Most active people would manage the terrain, untill later into the winter when ice axes and crampons are needed, but it is the packing in and out with the kit that really multiplies the difficulty.

Kurt is an experienced tahr hunter and has a more robust build than me (about 15kg heavier). Ascending I was right with him always. We'd do a fair stint and then have five minute water break/breather. But on the way down with much heavier packs he was clearly the stronger and was pulling ahead quite a bit.

I did no special training. I was swimming once or twice a week for a few months prior and doing my usual gym lifting, specifically beneficial I suppose were lunges, squats and step-ups etc. Cardio wise I do very little other than live an active life and frankly would embarass myself if i went for a run.

But I stand by my opinion that stuff like this doesn't require a high level or respiratory fitness from typical cardio stuff, it requires a tough body, joints and muscles. Your body needs to be able to endure being loaded with weight and being unbalanced with it. A strong back and core would probably be the best advantage you could give yourself and I'm fortunate in that department. I'm quite posterior chain dominant, which is why I think I'm strong up but not down.

Once I was fatigued I was feeling every little dormant niggle and injury I had. Nothing major but I was conscious of them because of the consequences of suddenly buckling at the wrong time.

I'm not trying to make it all sound extreme. Im no one special but there's my honest opinion.

Though I should add, we had a pretty intense exerience. There are easier ways to hunt tahr, lol. We were supposed to be going to the west coast for 7 days in an allocated block where we would have been dropped at base camp by helicopter with all week to find the tahr and hunt. Equally you can hunt the east coast by driving the valley bottom, staying in DoC huts and shooting up to the tops with just a day sack. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Re Tahr hunting... There's no two ways about it, it's hard work! I consider myself quite capable in the field and it was pushing me, physically and mentally. Most active people would manage the terrain, untill later into the winter when ice axes and crampons are needed, but it is the packing in and out with the kit that really multiplies the difficulty.

Kurt is an experienced tahr hunter and has a more robust build than me (about 15kg heavier). Ascending I was right with him always. We'd do a fair stint and then have five minute water break/breather. But on the way down with much heavier packs he was clearly the stronger and was pulling ahead quite a bit.

I did no special training. I was swimming once or twice a week for a few months prior and doing my usual gym lifting, specifically beneficial I suppose were lunges, squats and step-ups etc. Cardio wise I do very little other than live an active life and frankly would embarass myself if i went for a run.

But I stand by my opinion that stuff like this doesn't require a high level or respiratory fitness from typical cardio stuff, it requires a tough body, joints and muscles. Your body needs to be able to endure being loaded with weight and being unbalanced with it. A strong back and core would probably be the best advantage you could give yourself and I'm fortunate in that department. I'm quite posterior chain dominant, which is why I think I'm strong up but not down.

Once I was fatigued I was feeling every little dormant niggle and injury I had. Nothing major but I was conscious of them because of the consequences of suddenly buckling at the wrong time.

I'm not trying to make it all sound extreme. Im no one special but there's my honest opinion.

Though I should add, we had a pretty intense exerience. There are easier ways to hunt tahr, lol. We were supposed to be going to the west coast for 7 days in an allocated block where we would have been dropped at base camp by helicopter with all week to find the tahr and hunt. Equally you can hunt the east coast by driving the valley bottom, staying in DoC huts and shooting up to the tops with just a day sack. 

I think the fact that it was such a challenge to you is what makes it all the more special and worth while, it's the achievements when the going gets tough is what it's all about ?