5 minutes ago, PLEDGEY said:

If you're lookin' to get learned up https://www.molecountrystores.co.uk/advice-and-guides/farming/rat-bait-legislation/

Have you got enough numbers to try shooting with N/V?.

They not wanting guns on there mate after a few bad eggs fcuked it up years ago, they let me do as I please an come an go an trust me like family but even my word for a real good mate of mine was a no go☹️  

• Like 1

If you're on the payroll and get the ticket, there's no harm in having a go. You'll learn a lot, plus you'll have plenty of time to do a proper job.

Just remember, the label is the law when it comes to pest control products. Read carefully and abide by. 

Most of the farmyards I know could really benefit from a good tidying,

They're full of features that rats love, piles of tyres, rubble and timber that provide harbourages and drinking water.

If you can find burrows, baiting these direct is a good idea. You can tether your wax blocks to a pegged wire and push it down the hole, or do the same with bagged wheat. Just keep a record of how much you put down and how much you remove at the end of the baiting period.

Shame about the gun ban. Knocking rats down is good sport.

3 hours ago, trappa said:

CRRU isnt a course bud, its a set of guidelines that need to be followed. Ill try get a link up. You need to do a handling rodenticides course to get access to full strength rodenticides, BPCA and the like do them, but again, Id always advise getting a pro in, at least for a bit. Ive got 7 farms now on the books now and all are traps only now, including dairy farms that were riddled with rats. We surveyed, proofed where necessary, used site specific bait where necessary, dropped the numbers down to a minimum, then swapped to traps. We had representatives of farm assurance round two weeks ago and they were over the moon with our rodent eradication campaign and what we had done. The farmers could easily take over now (which at this point you could do) but because there are literally no rats at all on the farms the farmers wont let us go.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiY1abVirziAhWKRhUIHdJuDBoQFjAAegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thinkwildlife.org%2Fcode-of-best-practice%2Fcrru-code%2F&usg=AOvVaw0ERv3TyTwH_EETJxh53_x0

What traps you use mate oot a nosiness😁 an have ye tried it heard anything bout the good nature ones?😁😁

9 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

What traps you use mate oot a nosiness😁 an have ye tried it heard anything bout the good nature ones?😁😁

Katch.........empty ya message box pal 

15 hours ago, trappa said:

It was clear, accurate and concise deker. Also illegal. And the lad can ask whatever he wants, but im suprised you advised him to permanent bait with bromadiolone, especially without asking any background questions on the farm.

I arent aguing here, just didnt rate your advice

If you are considering quoting the law you better be accurate.

Read all his posts and also show me where I told him to permanent bait.

Edited by Deker

6 hours ago, Deker said:

Contrac is only approved for use in and around buildings, as are the majority of sgar's. If the boundary katchum is talking about is not, it's illegal. 

Katch, have a look online and do a course that will teach the methods and legality of what you're doing. It's a f***ing minefield these days. Try googling safe use of rodenticide, it's designed for farmers and keepers. 1 day course I believe. It'll qualify you to buy the good stuff

Edited by stormyboy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

Contrac is only approved for use in and around buildings, as are the majority of sgar's. If the boundary katchum is talking about is not, it's illegal. 

Katch, have a look online and do a course that will teach the methods and legality of what you're doing. It's a f***ing minefield these days. Try googling safe use of rodenticide, it's designed for farmers and keepers. 1 day course I believe.

Iv sorted it throo me boss an the farm assurance or summat mate, waiting for a phone call back to see when Iv to do it an if I can do it online or not, cheers guys, an for all this job is only a wee job, there are other farms around that don’t use poison an don’t want it used due to owls an stuff so I’m gonna do the courses an get it done by book, might even get somebody in to show me basics aswell an explain stuff in bit more detail an maybe even a bit training an some tips or whatever, I won’t be paying for any of it, an it may even come in handy again in future at some point😁

thanks again everybody 👍😉

Edited by W. Katchum
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Deker said:

Deker, contrac blox are for professional use only and the lad isnt a pro, and you told him to never let the bait run out, which is a no-no now. Im not quoting the law, just pointing out what you quoted was illegal.

And again, im not here to argue, i just thought the advice you gave was piss poor. I think it was, you think it wasnt. Sorted.

32 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv sorted it throo me boss an the farm assurance or summat mate, waiting for a phone call back to see when Iv to do it an if I can do it online or not, cheers guys, an for all this job is only a wee job, there are other farms around that don’t use poison an don’t want it used due to owls an stuff so I’m gonna do the courses an get it done by book, might even get somebody in to show me basics aswell an explain stuff in bit more detail an maybe even a bit training an some tips or whatever, I won’t be paying for any of it, an it may even come in handy again in future at some point😁

thanks again everybody 👍😉

Excellent stuff bud. Good luck.

52 minutes ago, trappa said:

Deker, contrac blox are for professional use only and the lad isnt a pro, and you told him to never let the bait run out, which is a no-no now. Im not quoting the law, just pointing out what you quoted was illegal.

And again, im not here to argue, i just thought the advice you gave was piss poor. I think it was, you think it wasnt. Sorted.

If you bothered to read my post I said if you can buy it, I didn't know if he was qualified or not and that's why I said IF.  If he wasn't I had made it very clear in my posts only professionals can get certain stuff these days.

Of course I told him never to let the bait run out, what on earth are you talking about, once the bait runs out the pest start getting better if they have not been killed, they need to ingest enough to kill them.   What on earth is this rubbish, "and you told him to never let the bait run out, which is a no-no now"    Not keeping bait topped up is a schoolboy error. 

illegal   ADJECTIVE   contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law. 
Something else you got wrong

If you don't want to argue don't criticise before putting your brain in gear!
Edited by Deker

Deker, to be fair it's obvious katchum isn't a professional from the questions he's asking. IMO the only advise in this case is call a professional or get the appropriate training. Failing that, buy amateur use products and read the label.

Regarding the legalities,   Reading and following the label in the use of rodenticides is a legal requirement. Failure to do so renders one open to prosecution should the shit hit the fan!

First statement is merely my opinion, the second is fact.

ATB

Unless it’s changed in the last few weeks farmers can still buy the ‘’good stuff’’ without sitting the courses.

FWIW  I think doing the course can only be a good thing, can’t have too many strings to your bow and the boss man will be greatfull he has tried to cover his backside in the event of questions been asked.

2 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

Deker, to be fair it's obvious katchum isn't a professional from the questions he's asking. IMO the only advise in this case is call a professional or get the appropriate training. Failing that, buy amateur use products and read the label.

Regarding the legalities,   Reading and following the label in the use of rodenticides is a legal requirement. Failure to do so renders one open to prosecution should the shit hit the fan!

First statement is merely my opinion, the second is fact.

ATB

Flippen ek, where have I ever said otherwise?

I made accurate statements, qualified them, but without doubt I didn't spend the next 2 pages detailing every aspect of their use/limitations/safety/ etc etc.

By all means add details of use, legal requirements etc but don't tell me I'm wrong, broken the law or given him rubbish advice!

What on earth is the rubbish from trappa that keeping baits topped up is a no no now!    A chunk on the reason for changing availability of pesticides was to stop/reduce immunity, and the main reason for that was letting bait run out!

Deker you knew fine well he wasn't a pro, don't talk rubbish. And you can't use bait for more than 35 days on the bounce now, if you were a professional you would know that. Your advice was shocking. You never asked any questions about the farm, where it was, was it close to any nature reserves, what livestock did it have, what would he do with the carcasses, just advising to use contract blox constantly. I've seen your posts on guns, your an authority, I look for your replies cos you know what your on about. But I don't think you know jackshit about this kind of pest control tbh. 

That's me finished here.

Trappa