First go at reloading

Last year I bought some reloading kit with a view to reloading my own ammunition. I’ve been using Sako 50 grains in 223 for a number of years and also Norma if I can get them and had good success. However the cost of the ammunition started to get silly and I shoot about 150 -200 rounds a year . I couldn’t justify the set up cost for reloading . Then I saw a kit on eBay and got the whole lot for £200 , press , scales , tumbler , you name it . Sent off to Henry Krank for the dies . Watched some videos on YouTube. The results have been impressive to me . I started off with 23.5 grains of Vihtavuori 135 and 50grain Sierra 1320 semi point bullets in my old Sako cases . Took them out and got great groups straight away . Last night I shot my first fox with my own loaded bullet . It’s a bit like catching a trout on a fly you tied yourself . 196144A5-EEF8-4600-98E7-E304A93599CC.jpeg.336b82dfd2d60abab3ca022af7be6a35.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Been doing quite a lot of geeking up on home loading myself... was round at a mates the other day and he swears by home load for confidence in your gear!!

youve done well to get on the money straight off the bat?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, si brown said:

Been doing quite a lot of geeking up on home loading myself... was round at a mates the other day and he swears by home load for confidence in your gear!!

youve done well to get on the money straight off the bat?

Everyone who loads their own swears by them . The thing is I don’t really want to experiment too much . I am more than happy with the groups I got out of my CZ day set up . I then tried them yesterday evening through my digisight and it shot about 3” low , zeroed it for 1” or so high at 100meters and away I went . So far so good , and if it ain’t broke .... don’t fix it .

F7CA9865-3FDE-4476-8771-3081F5A81D20.jpeg

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Everyone who loads their own swears by them . The thing is I don’t really want to experiment too much . I am more than happy with the groups I got out of my CZ day set up . I then tried them yesterday evening through my digisight and it shot about 3” low , zeroed it for 1” or so high at 100meters and away I went . So far so good , and if it ain’t broke .... don’t fix it .

Exactly. I've been homeloading for a while now and settled on 24gr N133 under a 53g v-max in my 223. I might possibly be able to close the grouping up ever so slightly by fiddling with seating depth etc, but this concoction kills everything I aim at, so there's no reason to. 

I

1 minute ago, walshie said:

Exactly. I've been homeloading for a while now and settled on 24gr N133 under a 53g v-max in my 223. I might possibly be able to close the grouping up ever so slightly by fiddling with seating depth etc, but this concoction kills everything I aim at, so there's no reason to. 

Bought a .223 last week Dave, after all this bollox with the GL and I’ve been having issues with the local county cop for a while i thought sod it!!

ill be badgering Del for info?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, walshie said:

How are the powder burns on ya face now Walshie ? they clearing up ok ?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, si brown said:

I

Bought a .223 last week Dave, after all this bollox with the GL and I’ve been having issues with the local county cop for a while i thought sod it!!

ill be badgering Del for info?

Nice one. Don't bother badgering Del. He doesn't know his arse from his elbow and he hasn't got a reloading book. When you get yourself a book, don't tell him or he'll be on the phone to you at all hours of the day and night. 

1 minute ago, delswal said:

How are the powder burns on ya face now Walshie ? they clearing up ok ?

No burns here mate. I have handy reloading book. :laugh:

9 hours ago, walshie said:

Nice one. Don't bother badgering Del. He doesn't know his arse from his elbow and he hasn't got a reloading book. When you get yourself a book, don't tell him or he'll be on the phone to you at all hours of the day and night. 

No burns here mate. I have handy reloading book. :laugh:

1st edition blunderbus for beginners is it ?

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I see you have zeroed at 1" high, how did you arrive at that? 

Is it because at  150yds or whatever that is the true zero and that is where most of your foxes are going to be?

10 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Most of the foxes I shoot are less than 100 yards at night . I just do that because I have on occasion shot them out to 200 meters .

My pal does the same, he says that gets him in the kill zone every time, I still prefer to zero at 100 and adjust from there if need...........but each to there as long as it works for them 

3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Most of the foxes I shoot are less than 100 yards at night . I just do that because I have on occasion shot them out to 200 meters .

So at 1" high at 100yds what is the true zero with your chosen load?