1 hour ago, jok said:

I think your on something. Calling a cuckoo lol. They are possibly one of the most solitary birds you could possibly find. I reckon you have collared doves flying round you at 20ft ffs. Get some pictures if they are that close. Next to Greyman it takes some believing. Jok.

they don't fly all the way from Africa to be solitary...

they don't cuckoo for a laugh..never called them but guessing its males thinking its another male or interested females

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Several years since I saw a cuckoo, I do call in owls at night quite regularly and they are also a solitary bird so I,d not be quite as dismissive, but then some of us are a bit more open minded than others 😂😂😂😂

you can call shorties up in the day.

Also when the dog puts one up way off in front had them fly right over looking down as if there seeing what you are? Without any calling

Edited by Gilbey

Used to call owls as a kid along with spotted woodpeckers, the latter by tapping on a branch/tree,  and all sorts, still do somethings. Most creatures will be interested in the right sounds be it fox, roe or robin.

• Like 2

We had one them wee electronic fox calls years ago when they first come out. Put it on a post out in middle of a big field that had not long had lambs in an turned it on, within minutes a fox was coming into it like a whippet going down beam for a rabbit, slipped the dog an fox never even knew what hit it, but as we were doing this there was a tawny dive bombing the caller😂 me an mate watched it for a couple minutes, circling an diving,  done same thing again a few nights later an before we even got settled it was back, or so we thought. After a minute another one was in on it too, we put it down to youngsters out learning to hunt, never really tried again but may take kids out an try now we got full moon 😁

Edited by W. Katchum

Your be surprised how many birds will drop, if you get the call spot on.

8 hours ago, jigsaw said:

explain how ,? i listen to the cuckoo in the forestry where i walk ,never knew they could be called in ,as a matter of fact i didnt know you could call owls in either ...very interesting topic

Just shout Sunderland are shite....................you will get a fecking cuckoo show up for sure 👍

• Haha 3

I always end up calling in hares when out foxing on the lamp ....was out with a member off here 1 night,he asked me 'why don't you use a slip lead?'I told him you soon see.......started calling,my bitch is gone....switch on the lamp and she's retrieving a hare from 20 metres away....first of 3 that night👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

explain how ,? i listen to the cuckoo in the forestry where i walk ,never knew they could be called in ,as a matter of fact i didnt know you could call owls in either ...very interesting topic

Im glad you said it....i was afraid to in case i got a response of " you thick city bred prat " 😁

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im glad you said it....i was afraid to in case i got a response of " you thick city bred prat " 😁

Without sound like a thick northern fecker...............to call a cuckoo would ya not make a noise like a cuckoo and for an owl make a niose like an owl? or would that be sounding to simple ? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, delswal said:

Without sound like a thick northern fecker...............to call a cuckoo would ya not make a noise like a cuckoo and for an owl make a niose like an owl? or would that be sounding to simple ? lol

or an owls dinner 😋

6 minutes ago, delswal said:

Yep that’s how you call an owl, some people can do it with there hands but I have a hollow stick like a whistle but it makes an owl noise 

77C0F5BD-1FA7-4BD7-8E7A-A0F0EF389411.png

Only the male bird calls Cuckoo, they can be very territorial and yes, when a Cuckoo call is heard they often fly around to see where the call is coming from...

Taken weekend just gone by myself... Fascinating birds.

E07A0427-F1FF-4A52-AC21-FC025D7A0A18.jpeg

2D4AEE3F-B447-4578-A41C-F4B8D4837542.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Can deffo call in cukoo’s, same with nightjars😉

Wouldn’t mind seeing a nightjar mate, you know where they are ?

I’ve studied cuckoos for years and I’m still at it. Often call the males in which come at first but after a few times don’t bother. I think they must be immature birds. Watched two on Sunday actually mating so I’ve a female laying in my patch. Last year lucky enough to  watch one laying in a meadow pipits nest, which was a fantastic thing to watch. She was down on the heather for 2 hours, sat still, weighing everything up. Then she fluttered a few yards, dived into the grass, searched, found and layed. I could sit for hours watching them

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1