1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Several years since I saw a cuckoo, I do call in owls at night quite regularly and they are also a solitary bird so I,d not be quite as dismissive, but then some of us are a bit more open minded than others ????

you can call shorties up in the day.

Also when the dog puts one up way off in front had them fly right over looking down as if there seeing what you are? Without any calling

Edited by Gilbey

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only the male bird calls Cuckoo, they can be very territorial and yes, when a Cuckoo call is heard they often fly around to see where the call is coming from... Taken weekend just gone by myself.

Had 2 different males coming to perches yesterday   

Posted Images

Used to call owls as a kid along with spotted woodpeckers, the latter by tapping on a branch/tree,  and all sorts, still do somethings. Most creatures will be interested in the right sounds be it fox, roe or robin.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, jigsaw said:

explain how ,? i listen to the cuckoo in the forestry where i walk ,never knew they could be called in ,as a matter of fact i didnt know you could call owls in either ...very interesting topic

Just shout Sunderland are shite....................you will get a fecking cuckoo show up for sure ?

• Haha 3

I always end up calling in hares when out foxing on the lamp ....was out with a member off here 1 night,he asked me 'why don't you use a slip lead?'I told him you soon see.......started calling,my bitch is gone....switch on the lamp and she's retrieving a hare from 20 metres away....first of 3 that night?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

explain how ,? i listen to the cuckoo in the forestry where i walk ,never knew they could be called in ,as a matter of fact i didnt know you could call owls in either ...very interesting topic

Im glad you said it....i was afraid to in case i got a response of " you thick city bred prat " ?

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im glad you said it....i was afraid to in case i got a response of " you thick city bred prat " ?

Without sound like a thick northern fecker...............to call a cuckoo would ya not make a noise like a cuckoo and for an owl make a niose like an owl? or would that be sounding to simple ? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, delswal said:

Without sound like a thick northern fecker...............to call a cuckoo would ya not make a noise like a cuckoo and for an owl make a niose like an owl? or would that be sounding to simple ? lol

or an owls dinner ?

6 minutes ago, delswal said:

Yep that’s how you call an owl, some people can do it with there hands but I have a hollow stick like a whistle but it makes an owl noise 

77C0F5BD-1FA7-4BD7-8E7A-A0F0EF389411.png

Only the male bird calls Cuckoo, they can be very territorial and yes, when a Cuckoo call is heard they often fly around to see where the call is coming from...

Taken weekend just gone by myself... Fascinating birds.

E07A0427-F1FF-4A52-AC21-FC025D7A0A18.jpeg

2D4AEE3F-B447-4578-A41C-F4B8D4837542.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I’ve studied cuckoos for years and I’m still at it. Often call the males in which come at first but after a few times don’t bother. I think they must be immature birds. Watched two on Sunday actually mating so I’ve a female laying in my patch. Last year lucky enough to  watch one laying in a meadow pipits nest, which was a fantastic thing to watch. She was down on the heather for 2 hours, sat still, weighing everything up. Then she fluttered a few yards, dived into the grass, searched, found and layed. I could sit for hours watching them

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, jok said:

Greyman . Small world. Friend of mine does a bit ar Fisherwick. Also done a bit there myself. Jok.

James the lad in the lodge used to live in Bristol back in the 90s and we used to fish together, we loose touch with to many as we get older so I try to make the effort a few times a year here is my lad with James last year got some nice cats in there as well ?? 

53C0C727-47AC-4BAD-AC83-AE5128D371C3.jpeg

BC09798D-D53A-4E7F-B416-19E2600D6115.jpeg

• Like 1