Does any one work a huntaway x greyhound

5 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

They are supposed to be part Rotty bred to bring sheep down from the hills.Friends had one, it was pig headed and used to wander and pick fights.I really didn't like anything about the animal at all including the look of it.

Lol got to say, I don't like the look of em myself lol ?

• Like 2

A few farmers round here ended up with NZ huntaways. The ones I knew had an easy going temperament and made a good general farm dog for a bit of light shepherding and looking big and intimidating to dissuade uninvited visitors. The big ones were quite fast in a straight line on account of having a long stride and I am reliably informed that one managed to occasionally take fox, rabbit and hare. Don't remember them barking much. I liked the ones I saw, but they were nothing like as effective as collies for herding and can't see any particular reason to use them for lurcher breeding. Believe the breed also has problems with hip dysplasia...

• Like 1

The chap i work for has a Huntaway x lurcher , getting on in age now . It showed plenty of promise as a youngster but the chap is a terrible dog man and made a mess of it . It was keen as mustard and def not just a rabbiting dog.

I run a pure Huntaway at home on the sheep alongside a collie . She is a fantastic dog and I much prefer the breed to a collie . She has a huge prey drive and a brilliant nose , as soon as the sheep work is done she spends hours up in the forestry hunting , and not just edible as someone else stated . She is very vocal but she is bark on command trained ... other than when after roe . They are a heavy set dog with great feet and amazing stamina so I think could add a lot to a running dog , if my young runner progresses over the next few seasons as he has so far I would be tempted to try a litter out of the pair of them .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, runner neil said:

The chap i work for has a Huntaway x lurcher , getting on in age now . It showed plenty of promise as a youngster but the chap is a terrible dog man and made a mess of it . It was keen as mustard and def not just a rabbiting dog.

I run a pure Huntaway at home on the sheep alongside a collie . She is a fantastic dog and I much prefer the breed to a collie . She has a huge prey drive and a brilliant nose , as soon as the sheep work is done she spends hours up in the forestry hunting , and not just edible as someone else stated . She is very vocal but she is bark on command trained ... other than when after roe . They are a heavy set dog with great feet and amazing stamina so I think could add a lot to a running dog , if my young runner progresses over the next few seasons as he has so far I would be tempted to try a litter out of the pair of them .

What cross/type is your lurcher mate?

I’ve absolutely zero experience with this breed, which goes for most of us here, lol.

From what I saw recently in NZ they worked a mix of huntaways and collies and it wasn’t a country with much sentimentality towards working dogs! I doubt very many of this breed get ute space if they aren’t useful. Strike me as being a very robust animal for working in tough country.

few pics from a page I like...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, runner neil said:

Interesting replay runner Neil Someone with some experience of them ??I think in the lurcher world people jump straight on to the negatives then give a negative replay I’ve no experience with huntaways I’ve only ever seen one work that was down in Oxfordshire on a sheep farm I spoke to the farmer he said he bought it for novelty to begin with as he normally used collies and wanted to try something different he said to be fair it’s a pretty good dog tbh it looked a pretty good dog to be fair I looked like it worked in the same manner as a collie pretty responsive dog. I had a bit of a read up on them what information I could gather there a pretty hard dog with good coats tough as nails feet endless stamina and pretty easily trained I think the only off putting thing was the deep bark bit why lurcher people would be against using one for Lurcher breeding but I personally think the odds are the same as any other cross of them producing a lurcher for work it’s a case of either they will or they won’t its the same odds as worker to worker lurcher to lurcher they will or they won’t. I’d be interested to see in the future if you do decide to breed yours some info on how you feel about the cross mate 

Pic I’ve just found. 

Ya can just make out the huntaway stood back driving the sheep across the road with the collie type thing flanking them in the foreground.

4DEEC256-F79F-4986-B099-8664CE518920.jpeg

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, poxon said:

Interesting replay runner Neil Someone with some experience of them ??I think in the lurcher world people jump straight on to the negatives then give a negative replay I’ve no experience with huntaways I’ve only ever seen one work that was down in Oxfordshire on a sheep farm I spoke to the farmer he said he bought it for novelty to begin with as he normally used collies and wanted to try something different he said to be fair it’s a pretty good dog tbh it looked a pretty good dog to be fair I looked like it worked in the same manner as a collie pretty responsive dog. I had a bit of a read up on them what information I could gather there a pretty hard dog with good coats tough as nails feet endless stamina and pretty easily trained I think the only off putting thing was the deep bark bit why lurcher people would be against using one for Lurcher breeding but I personally think the odds are the same as any other cross of them producing a lurcher for work it’s a case of either they will or they won’t its the same odds as worker to worker lurcher to lurcher they will or they won’t. I’d be interested to see in the future if you do decide to breed yours some info on how you feel about the cross mate 

I will keep you informed of progress . The Huntaway works in the opposite manner to my Collie , she is a great driving dog , she gets behind the sheep and pushes them on , fantastic for working in yards and filling races etc ,  where as the Collie is more of a herder always wants to bring sheep to you . Completely different temperaments to , the Collie tends to dive in and sometimes snap at the sheep a bit where as the Huntaway tends to use her physical strength more . Here's a couple of pics , not the best sorry

20190522_124655.jpg

20190522_124541.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1