Does any one work a huntaway x greyhound

1 hour ago, Neal said:

All the ones I've met have been very vocal...which is their job...but maybe not so helpful in a rabbit catching dog (unless you're using them for bushing?).

See a litter of huntaways bred local working stock so got me googleing them they sound pretty handy as a base blood hearding dog it’s just the vocals part that made me post to see if anyone works a greyhound x huntaway just wondering what the out come of such a cross would be wonder weather the hybrid would carry the vocal part as well as what else they offer 

Couldn't think of a worst base for a running dog they move stock by barking at them rarely do they get hold like a good cattle collie, they may be of some use if you want a lurcher that will pull a fox or deer then stand barking at it

45 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Couldn't think of a worst base for a running dog they move stock by barking at them rarely do they get hold like a good cattle collie, they may be of some use if you want a lurcher that will pull a fox or deer then stand barking at it

Your probably right mate was just curious as people use all sorts of strange An wonderful xs these days as nothing is set in stone with hybrids just wondered if anyone was running this cross that’s all I think it would take a wise man to predict the out come of said cross unless trying one or seeing one work for himself I mean greyhounds are mute as a rule I think anything could happen I think it would take a stupid dog with nothing about it to feel barking at a object it wants to catch will get the job done but saying that a lot of terriers and collies can be yapping c**ts I think the odds would be the same as any lurcher weather they would be any good or not 

6 minutes ago, poxon said:

Your probably right mate was just curious as people use all sorts of strange An wonderful xs these days as nothing is set in stone with hybrids just wondered if anyone was running this cross that’s all I think it would take a wise man to predict the out come of said cross unless trying one or seeing one work for himself I mean greyhounds are mute as a rule I think anything could happen I think it would take a stupid dog with nothing about it to feel barking at a object it wants to catch will get the job done but saying that a lot of terriers and collies can be yapping c**ts I think the odds would be the same as any lurcher weather they would be any good or not 

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this post mate. There are plenty of collies that do bark, alot in some cases, welsh sheepdogs to name just one.  Terriers are just normally yappy as f**k in general anyway. I might well be wrong here, but I just think that when any breed is bred to a greyhound, it quietens them down by a good deal

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, poxon said:

Depends what you would use such a dog for they might be decent on edible quarry but I don't think a dog bred to bark at cows and sheep would be taking much stick but I've only seen one on a farm I have permission on all the farmer uses it for is letting him know when someone's about the yard it's his misses pet failed cow dog

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Depends what you would use such a dog for they might be decent on edible quarry but I don't think a dog bred to bark at cows and sheep would be taking much stick but I've only seen one on a farm I have permission on all the farmer uses it for is letting him know when someone's about the yard it's his misses pet failed cow dog

Your probably right again mate but hybrids have a way of surprising us all look at most the bulls bred to greyhounds never had a pit fight in there life’s nothing more than pets but produce dogs that can be Pretty handy at most jobs same goes with collie not everyone as assess to a farm working collie that actually works regularly most farmers wouldn’t pimp there collie out to someone that’s going to potentially poach there land so people use pets or trials collie with a degree of success at most jobs expected from a lurcher same goes to bedlingtons most ain’t worked to ground most are nothing more than pets or novelty dogs or dogs that are walked and catch the odd rabbit in cover when they do catch every one of fb knows how good a working dog it is and all about it but put any of the above to a greyhound magic happens all off the above have an can produce dogs for a bit of everything it’s proven fact magic happens 

40 minutes ago, poxon said:

Your probably right again mate but hybrids have a way of surprising us all look at most the bulls bred to greyhounds never had a pit fight in there life’s nothing more than pets but produce dogs that can be Pretty handy at most jobs same goes with collie not everyone as assess to a farm working collie that actually works regularly most farmers wouldn’t pimp there collie out to someone that’s going to potentially poach there land so people use pets or trials collie with a degree of success at most jobs expected from a lurcher same goes to bedlingtons most ain’t worked to ground most are nothing more than pets or novelty dogs or dogs that are walked and catch the odd rabbit in cover when they do catch every one of fb knows how good a working dog it is and all about it but put any of the above to a greyhound magic happens all off the above have an can produce dogs for a bit of everything it’s proven fact magic happens 

Maybe mate but I don't think so most lurchers of all breeds and xs will be jackers if pushed if someone wanted a lurcher for rabbits in the main and odd bit of other stuff most dogs that are half greyhound will do that job 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Mate a lot of dogs will catch some rabbits but it takes a special dog to take a lot of rabbits a lot a times  over its life, fcuk Iv seem some seriously driven animals kid on they cannae see the 50th 60th bunny if the night ??

them huntaways offer no more than collie/kelpie or cattle dog crosses an I’d even go as far as saying they won’t even offer what the others do

Until someone tries the cross, you won't know how good, bad or indifferent they could be. And I don't know percentages etc, but I'd bet there'd be more heavy coated dogs that pull up etc on rabbits in number, due to overheating. Seen a few rough/heavy coated dogs over the years visibly wilting and being less keen after so many runs, than smooth coated dogs, fitness etc not being an issue

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Mate a lot of dogs will catch some rabbits but it takes a special dog to take a lot of rabbits a lot a times  over its life, fcuk Iv seem some seriously driven animals kid on they cannae see the 50th 60th bunny if the night ??

them huntaways offer no more than collie/kelpie or cattle dog crosses an I’d even go as far as saying they won’t even offer what the others do

I’m guessing the odds are the same as any lurcher then it’s all down to luck if the cross gells and a shorts straws game