For fox sake ?

As I’ve said before I don’t tend to shoot fox this time of year but after a terrible weekend at work I was in need of a walk out on my own for a bit of stav time to clear my head, so I grabbed the fox caller and the .243 and off I went to the pheasant shoot, now this time of year you are very limited as to where you can shoot so knowing where there was a couple of earths on the far side of the shoot that’s where I headed, I set the caller on a ride approximately 75 yards away from where I was standing, I set it away with a pheasant distress for about 40 minutes with no luck, I then changed it to a cub call and added a vixen bark every 5 minutes or so, nothing showed and as I was loosing the light I decided to call it a night, so I walked down towards the caller and all of a sudden a fox was running towards me at some pace, unable to mount the rifle and by the time it was about 15 yards away it stopped dead, looked up at a big ugly bugger, looking at each other it darted back into the cover, one very lucky fox, if I’d of given it two more minutes it would of been a different outcome, but I suppose that’s the way it goes sometimes and at least I know where they are now on that part of the shoot ?

• Like 1

If it was easy and predictable you wouldn’t want to do it . Because foxes can be unpredictable and are clever they make a fascinating creature to hunt . I noticed the title to the thread and I’m having a cup of tea out of my new mug my Mrs got me , an appropriate drinking vessel for people  such as us !

EF97E6E0-466F-4E5C-AE17-197EACBA5350.jpeg

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

If it was easy and predictable you wouldn’t want to do it . Because foxes can be unpredictable and are clever they make a fascinating creature to hunt . I noticed the title to the thread and I’m having a cup of tea out of my new mug my Mrs got me , an appropriate drinking vessel for people  such as us !

EF97E6E0-466F-4E5C-AE17-197EACBA5350.jpeg

Snap ?

ECEC5F54-5BD2-4465-B72E-2500635D3FBC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

That's how it goes sometimes. When your out with a shotgun you need a rifle, when out with a rifle you need a shotgun.

It's amazing combination guns are not more popular!

Chris will be pleased though. Bless.

There is a place where I have a go at “squeaking/calling “, it overlooks a large bowl of land and offers a great vantage point with a rifle . The problem I have had in the past is foxes creeping along the hedge and wall and just appearing about 5 meters in front of me , they have a quick look and then they are off . An easy shot with a shotgun . So when I go there now , I take the shotgun and rifle and keep the shotgun ready while I’m calling..... guess what ? They haven’t done it since, but they will . 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

That's how it goes sometimes. When your out with a shotgun you need a rifle, when out with a rifle you need a shotgun.

It's amazing combination guns are not more popular!

Chris will be pleased though. Bless.

Even I could of hit it with a shotgun, it was that close I could see the fear in its eyes, I’ve had a couple on that ride now with the shotgun, both cubs after I’ve taken the adults

i’m sure cwis will be over the moon that it lives to kill more wildlife than, but it’s time will come 

AE2958F6-0F08-444B-8BF0-126D86BB997D.jpeg

• Like 5

Out walking my dogs coupe nigts back trough field of wheat. Dogs off to my left about 50 odd yds. Noise just to my right, fox trotting up tramline, oblivious to me, pops about about 15 yds from my right handside, we both just stopped still staring at each other, could see Charlie's eyes saying "oh bollocks"!! I whistled dogs as fox turned tail but nothing to report. Always the way.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Stavross said:

Even I could of hit it with a shotgun, it was that close I could see the fear in its eyes, I’ve had a couple on that ride now with the shotgun, both cubs after I’ve taken the adults

i’m sure cwis will be over the moon that it lives to kill more wildlife than, but it’s time will come 

AE2958F6-0F08-444B-8BF0-126D86BB997D.jpeg

That’s just the right size to send to packham for his top pocket?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve been working today with the lad that runs our shoot and if working with him all day wasn’t enough he decided it would be a good idea if we went for a walk around the shoot before we have our first meeting next week, ( I’m guessing his missus wanted rid of him for the evening), so after a look around the pens we walked the boundaries we came across 3 foxes  none of which presented a shot, one of them was running down a spud field with a hen bird in its mouth, we then headed to where I seen the fox last Sunday and said to my mate that we would give it 20mins or so after 5 minutes a fox crossed the ride paying no attention to the caller another 5 minutes and a cub came bounding around the ride excited by the caller so I took the shot and gave it another 15 minutes or so expecting more cubs or adults to come out onto the ride, nothing showed and I could see my mate was getting a bit fed up so we called it a night, he did comment on the way back about how many we seen tonight saying “ did you shoot any last year “ the cheeky tw*t, I’m definitely going to have to spend a bit more time up here and give it my full attention once they have combined 

• Like 2

The combines are 10 weeks away , and you will probably have poults by then . Just keep at em now , think of different ways you might be able to draw them into a clearing or onto a ride . High seats that you can move around. Your pal needs educating, tell him that when you create a vacuum, nature soon fills it. It amazes me how quickly foxes move in if you have a food source.

• Like 3