Not a bad walk out

Thought I'd have a mooch about around the edge of the rape fields for a couple of hours while the Mrs was at work. 

To the left of the rape is a cow feild. I took a good few hoppers from it the other night before it got dark. All sat out grazing in the sun

The feild was no different today, full of the little feckers. There is a wood along the feild and it looks like a war zone with holes everywhere. IMG_20190519_143506.jpg.cc2f0cd9d360f2d0ba1c6c6eb21d28bc.jpg

I got myself into a nice spot a started to pick a few off, shed loads of young ones about. Took 4 in an hour and a half, 3 scrappers and a fat milky doe ( doe not in pic forgot to add her). IMG_20190519_144001.jpg.0b50df100a146e0fe541e8be24fef222.jpg

Even got to try my new gutting knife recently purchased at the Northern Shooting Show. Good piece of kit, pleased with it. 

IMG_20190519_160937.jpg.b3905ca73eb73c6e7de2bfa2139be8f1.jpg

Glad I went out?

Edited by Longshanx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

the reason I ask is why kill your own sport if its not pest control. plenty of people go all summer then start moaning in autumn that there is nothing about. if it's pest control to keep permission I can understand it. exactly the answer delswal predicted. 

It read like a bit of an out there question? 

Yes it's for pest control, the field the cows are now in was overgrown, now its been grazed I've the opportunity to reduce the numbers as they all come out the woods. I  tend to leave the young, like you said just to keep me going through the autumn, but I need to keep the numbers down. Its been hard keeping on top of them during the dark nights as they are very lamp shy. I took the permission over after the previous lad was unreliable. About 10 acres of rape got destroyed. Now I've managed to get into the cow field I can see now where they all came from. The amount of Warrens is unreal. 

6 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

If a cow's foot goes down burrow, broken leg, cow PTS farmer out of pocket. If they tunnel under fence posts, fencing need replacing, farmer out ofpocket. Definite pest control, well done @Longshanx

Cheers Ben??, you can see by the size of the burrows in the feild from the picture the damage they've caused. I'll get a picture of the rape feild they have wiped out. 

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

I love eating young rabbits. Back legs and saddle, dipped in seasoned flour and shallow fried . My mouth is watering now . 

Now that that does sound tasty, seen Scott Rae do a similar dish on his YouTube channel?