whippet x poodle

ok lads stop laughing had whippet x bedlington but i think they have poor coats bedlington not quick enough by itself so has anyone ever worked the above cross probably called a designer dog now but the poodle is 2nd to the collie for brains lets have your thoughts

bsasuperten

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've often thought of puting a standard poodle over one of my whippets,they are not the poofy dogs people think.My solicitor has 2 and she was threatened by a violent client,the dogs had to be dragged

I have yet to see a whippet work nettles and brambles and general cover as good as a beddy whippet. not all beddywhippet are bred out of show stuff. I used to think anyone with anything about them was

I just joined tonight to see if anyone was working this kind of mix. I have a poodle cross lurcher. She's out of a small working saluki/greyhound x miniature poodle. Not at all poofy and sound tempera

Posted Images

finding one off working stock will be very hard. having said that a friend of my father had a poodle terrier cross 40 odd years ago. it was good rabbit dog ferreting, mooching dog. 

39 minutes ago, bsasuperten said:

ok lads stop laughing had whippet x bedlington but i think they have poor coats bedlington not quick enough by itself so has anyone ever worked the above cross probably called a designer dog now but the poodle is 2nd to the collie for brains lets have your thoughts

bsasuperten

I think for general mooching, where you don't intend doing 'TEETH' ? lol, on a regular basis, or slaughter a hundred rats in a session, they'd be fine. Like you say, they are very intelligent, easily taught to retrieve, and are happy little dogs, I'm assuming you mean min poodle, would give a more water resistant coat than most bedlington crosses I've seen, and whippets are easily trained, and as far as I'm concerned personally, don't have any negatives apart from sometimes having too thin a coat. Personally I'd go for it

• Like 1

Bedlington whippets are not quick any way     Unless bred back to a decent size whippet or grew that can cover ground there one speed dogs with no gears.There just a peddlers pocket money dog most are bred out of show type pet bedlingtons to pet whippet an changed the earth for these days with a story of parents being good working dogs I can’t really see what the hype over the cross is all about to be honest it offers little to nothing in modern day hunting that a decent work bred whippet can’t do the only difference being there more pleasing to the eye to look at as a traditional looking scruffy lurcher I’ve been around a lot of bedlington whippets over the years I even still own one a old retired one and can honestly say I’d never own another as there not what they used to be there definitely not the dog you hear all the old Lurcher world legends talk of that’s for sure But they still speak high of them based on what they used to have in the early 80s like it as some relevance to the type of animals that are out there today 

• Like 3

I've often thought of puting a standard poodle over one of my whippets,they are not the poofy dogs people think.My solicitor has 2 and she was threatened by a violent client,the dogs had to be dragged off him.The coats not great for here but they are athletic,smart and people orientated.Crossed with a working line whippet or grey would be an interesting dog.

• Like 5

Don’t do it !! I had 3/4 poodle 1/4 lab  , whilst it was the most loyal dog I have ever owned followed me like a shadow , would growl at anyone who was close to me and raised hand quickly /shouted near me etc it was also the most neurotic /sensitive dog I’ve owned and shredded badly imagine a collie x husky with the worse traits of each combined and that was it . 

1 hour ago, poxon said:

Bedlington whippets are not quick any way     Unless bred back to a decent size whippet or grew that can cover ground there one speed dogs with no gears.There just a peddlers pocket money dog most are bred out of show type pet bedlingtons to pet whippet an changed the earth for these days with a story of parents being good working dogs I can’t really see what the hype over the cross is all about to be honest it offers little to nothing in modern day hunting that a decent work bred whippet can’t do the only difference being there more pleasing to the eye to look at as a traditional looking scruffy lurcher I’ve been around a lot of bedlington whippets over the years I even still own one a old retired one and can honestly say I’d never own another as there not what they used to be there definitely not the dog you hear all the old Lurcher world legends talk of that’s for sure But they still speak high of them based on what they used to have in the early 80s like it as some relevance to the type of animals that are out there today 

I have yet to see a whippet work nettles and brambles and general cover as good as a beddy whippet. not all beddywhippet are bred out of show stuff. I used to think anyone with anything about them was on sites like this. truth is lots of people doing stuff aren't on the Internet at all. a lot of old boys with good stuff don't come on here. 

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I have yet to see a whippet work nettles and brambles and general cover as good as a beddy whippet. not all beddywhippet are bred out of show stuff. I used to think anyone with anything about them was on sites like this. truth is lots of people doing stuff aren't on the Internet at all. a lot of old boys with good stuff don't come on here. 

Like I said Fred most not all bedlington whippets.its kind of like saying any smooth coat dog won’t face cover that we know is not true if a dog is keen enough an knows there’s something in there it’ll go in because it wants on. Well that’s what we’re all led to believe Fred that most these guys that keep the real deal stuff don’t come on Internet forums like this. 

4 minutes ago, poxon said:

Like I said Fred most not all bedlington whippets.its kind of like saying any smooth coat dog won’t face cover that we know is not true if a dog is keen enough an knows there’s something in there it’ll go in because it wants on. Well that’s what we’re all led to believe Fred that most these guys that keep the real deal stuff don’t come on Internet forums like this. 

your certainly right about them being one paced. I think a lot are disappointed with them because they buy them as running dog and are no such thing. I use mine generally for cover work, marking and ferreting. just about all her daytime rabbits are caught in 25 to 30 yards max. but that is all I ask of her. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, poxon said:

I know quite a few people with hancock lurchers that don't even own a computer, let alone be a member on a site like this. And said dogs are excellent workers.

Just saying lol ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Don’t do it !! I had 3/4 poodle 1/4 lab  , whilst it was the most loyal dog I have ever owned followed me like a shadow , would growl at anyone who was close to me and raised hand quickly /shouted near me etc it was also the most neurotic /sensitive dog I’ve owned and shredded badly imagine a collie x husky with the worse traits of each combined and that was it . 

With all due respect fdr, you can't compare a 3/4 poodle 1/4 lab, against a half cross poodle/whippet ?

23 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I know quite a few people with hancock lurchers that don't even own a computer, let alone be a member on a site like this. And said dogs are excellent workers.

Just saying lol ?

Was waiting for you to comment with words of wisdom shark ??

10 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

True but point I was trying to get across is I wouldn't bother with a poodle blooded dog.

I get you ?. But it might well've been the lab blood that was responsible for doing your head in lol ?