Ferret disorientated ?

I’ve a hob polecat that’s suddenly started looking disorientated roles about and spins round on its back it’s eating and drinking but just isn’t walking right it’s just completely out of sinc and just never seen it before I can pick it up and play with it it’s not in pain and not been out on rabbits since January so not sure what’s up , is it gun fodder or has anyone else seen this ?only just over 12 month old 

Edited by Gaz_Lurcherlad

I can’t say I’ve seen it as bad as you described but a few years ago I was living on a property which had a lot of wasps on it and being attracted to meat one of mine coped a sting sent him a bit loopy for a few days but recovered fully with no side effects.maybe an insect bite???

• Like 1
10 hours ago, garbs said:

I can’t say I’ve seen it as bad as you described but a few years ago I was living on a property which had a lot of wasps on it and being attracted to meat one of mine coped a sting sent him a bit loopy for a few days but recovered fully with no side effects.maybe an insect bite???

Will have to be pts just got home and can’t move very strange an old boy told me they can get compression in the spine when there young apparently it effect 1 in a litter usually never heard of it before been perfectly healthy till last week or so just getting worse and worse 

1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

aye could be a few things, good vet would know.

don't go along with 1 in every litter either

Agreed, I have breed hundreds of ferrets and have had one kit with something similar and that’s a kit not a year old adult. You owe it to your animals to take them to vets if there’s a problem not self diagnosing and asking on the internet. Not trying to be harsh but good animals deserve proper care.

• Like 1

I think too many buy ferrets for a tenner so 30 quid in the vets is out of the question. They are treated as the most disposable animal out there , coming second after goldfish. If you have a good ferret then look after it. If you only caught 3 live rabbits then it's paid for. There is plenty of knob heads out there giving ferrets to young working terriers thinking it will make them a better digging dog. Them scumbags shouldn't keep any animal, including goldfish. If you think throwing in a ferret will make your dog a better dog digging, finding and working foxes then you deserve a broken eye socket.

• Like 2

May be a silly question but has it been eating game that has been shot with a shot gun, the reason I'm asking is  wild animals get similar symptoms when they have eaten a lot of things that get shot and left, they digest the lead shots and get lead poisoning. It's very rare not it's possible 

On 16 May 2019 at 18:20, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

I’ve a hob polecat that’s suddenly started looking disorientated roles about and spins round on its back it’s eating and drinking but just isn’t walking right it’s just completely out of sinc and just never seen it before I can pick it up and play with it it’s not in pain and not been out on rabbits since January so not sure what’s up , is it gun fodder or has anyone else seen this ?only just over 12 month old 

Hi gaz my hob had same symptoms last year went to vets got invermectin drops 1ml in both ears once a week for three weeks done with a syringe turns out he had ear mite it's common in working ferrets when a mite gets in to their inner ear it can cause problems with balance ect this cleared them up quickly think I paid £10 for a plastic vial full hope this helps?

• Like 1