mxy up and down the country

every time these past few weeks while out on evening stroll with the lurchers,been picking quite afew rabbits young and old absolutely riddled with mxy virus, strange thing is a lot of places held hardly any rabbits all winter,really sad to see them horrible vile disease,caught a doe early this morning full of young full of it, whats it like in other parts of the country,at this rate I will be having another crap season come September,hows the vhd fairing another scourge to our sport.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't understand the need to cull every rabbit.  Release in areas where they are sparse . But I advise doing it around towns and houses . Places the shooters can't whack them . Let there numbers get

Not seen no mixy round here last year was seeing pretty decent numbers of rabbits were I’d recently moved thought I was in for a really good season with the young un but about a month before the crops

Don't know about myx in our area but actually saw a real live rabbit the other day. Lol. Fckg amazing. Jok.

been killing rabbits with myxy since January. numbers are very low around me yet they still get it. dog killed 6 in last two weeks in a place I wouldn't have thought there was 6 rabbits. forget rhd myxi is still the biggest killer. 

5 minutes ago, big napper said:

No mixy and plenty of rabbits on all the perms that iv been to so far ?over winter and up to now, hope it stays that way  (yorkshire)

good luck hope you don't see any. any theory on why some places don't get it and others never free from it? 

• Like 1

I reintroduced them back to a few areas . Only moving bunnies late January to help keep disease down . Few plac3s doing real well last couple of years.  Got whacked with rhvd2 last week . Makes you wonder if it's worth it

I think with mixi it goes in cycles, population rises rabbits get it survivors have an immunity and pass it on which protects new generation and causes population to rise then immunity weakens/virus mutates and mixi strikes again and so on. I had it very bad round me not this season just gone but season before and last season saw one mixi rabbit all year only but had devastated them the year previous. I reckon in another season or two it will strike again unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, bendrover said:

I reintroduced them back to a few areas . Only moving bunnies late January to help keep disease down . Few plac3s doing real well last couple of years.  Got whacked with rhvd2 last week . Makes you wonder if it's worth it

at least you are trying. no genuine people want to kill everything real hunting lads like you are giving something back ?

• Like 1

I can't understand the need to cull every rabbit.  Release in areas where they are sparse . But I advise doing it around towns and houses . Places the shooters can't whack them . Let there numbers get up . And introduce rabbits from totally different areas . It strengthens the gene pool 

Edited by bendrover
  • Like 4