One for a royal navy commander

Hello,

here a gents knife for a commander of the royal navy.

84mm wharncliffe blade from N690Co 4mm, brass guard and spacers, ebony handle.

Maybe the insignia will be engraved on the edges to give it more depth.

commander2.jpg.43bb667b01e6ae3a72a06f77f9edbe17.jpg

Regards

Nicolas

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, delswal said:

If you don't mind me asking Nic, how many hrs go into a blade like this ?

Hello, I think maybe 20 normally, in this case I had big trouble in sanding out some grind lines, stainless is a hassle, so a few hours more. 

Hand sanded from 100 grit up to 2000, back to 600 on the sides and polish the swedge. 

Regards 

Nicolas 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

Wish i had the skill for knife making..

It's really not that hard, only hand tools so you won't wreck it in a second and patience. 

I started years ago with a Brisa blade and only made the handle and guard.. 

Regards 

Nicolas 

It must be a great feeling, a proud feeling making and using a knife you have made yourself.

I have made a few purse nets for ferretting and it feels great when i catch a rabbit in one.

Ive just made a shooting/mooching stick too but not used it yet as im still applying oils to it, but cant wait to use it.

FF

• Like 1
On 16/05/2019 at 06:08, spsurfer said:

Hello, I think maybe 20 normally, in this case I had big trouble in sanding out some grind lines, stainless is a hassle, so a few hours more. 

Hand sanded from 100 grit up to 2000, back to 600 on the sides and polish the swedge. 

Regards 

Nicolas 

Still good time for a knife of that quality finish.

I get mine roughed out and think wow 4 hrs and i have made  a knife!...........then comes all the heat treating, refining, polishing etc etc and yes 20 + hrs later you have a superior hand crafted knife....not everyone will pay £200+ for such a blade ( personally my goal is not to drop below £10 hr charge out) Yes there are tricks & shortcuts to take the time factor down but there is no substitute for time when it comes to a top hand crafted package like yours!

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, GruffaloGriff said:

..... and yes 20 + hrs later you have a superior hand crafted knife....not everyone will pay £200+ for such a blade ( personally my goal is not to drop below £10 hr charge out)

Thanks Griff! 

And don't forget the materials, a Damascus piece this size is easily 80,- plus premium Sambar another 80-100,- mammoth ivory, sheath... 

Regards 

Nicolas 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, spsurfer said:

Thanks Griff! 

And don't forget the materials, a Damascus piece this size is easily 80,- plus premium Sambar another 80-100,- mammoth ivory, sheath... 

Regards 

Nicolas 

Ah yes the materials.....another reason i make most of mine out of re-cycled materials.....keeps the end cost down...meaning more sales......and a better hrly rate for me!?

But in seriousness it is a whole another ball game if you are using expensive materials and yes you need to charge for them!!!

Here is a 100% recycled material knife of mine....OK so i bought the Kydex for the sheath but the rivets are old gas pipe, the lanyard an old boot lase etc.

39004249661_ae47e02768_b.jpgP1060496_zps1zelylq7 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

39004250661_b20d8cc0d9_b.jpgP1060501_zps6vqkwqii by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

39004248081_cbe75fff86_b.jpgP1060518_zps8azz1aar by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 4