peeler crabs

• 2 weeks later...

On 14/05/2019 at 19:37, skinner said:

does any one go peeler crabbing on east coast and when can you get them as I want a dozen to freeze for back end 

As nobody has answered thought I would. Used to have about 500 pots on the Dart in Devon but have given them up now for a few reasons. Do you have muddy rivers or a estuary near you. Because collecting peeler crab is not that hard really, bit back breaking. All the pots are is bit of guttering or ridge tiles pushed into the mud about 45 Degrees open end back to the shore as far out near the channel as you can get. Even old car tyres that you might see on the river bank will hold them, or under the weed on the fore shore. Best way to test if its a peeler is hold the crab and put the last section of one leg slowly off if its a peeler then the new soft leg is there. Any crabs carrying another crab(smaller one) the one underneath is a she crab and a peeler if they are the same way up, if belly to belly it will be a softy.

Not in any way trying to tell you how to suck eggs, just trying to help.

Cheers Arry

• Like 5

thanks arry I will taiike any advise I can get , I went to a very rocky beach near Bridlington and there was a lot of crabs but no peelers ,  I think I must off got the wrong time but I will try again but thanks for your reply

11 hours ago, skinner said:

thanks arry I will taiike any advise I can get , I went to a very rocky beach near Bridlington and there was a lot of crabs but no peelers ,  I think I must off got the wrong time but I will try again but thanks for your reply

They peel all year around mate if there is crabs there then there are peeler some were. All you are doing putting pot down is creating a hiding place that they need to save being eaten by other crabs. A female or she crab needs to have shed their shell and be in the soft state to mate, thats why the Male or Cock crab will carry and protect a she crab when she is in the peeler state. The Cock crabs will hide from other crabs to peel, some times they dig tunnels in the soft mud that look like a mouse hole thats just been dug out, just follow them back. 

Cheers Arry

5 minutes ago, terryd said:

I was told by man who new his stuff to get out and check the place at low tide at night for an easy haul. When you see a cock crab with his dukes up the female will be close by

Never heard that mate. I did me pots for well over 40 years and some time get bucket fulls some time a dozen out of 500 pots. Night or day didn't seem to make a difference. 

Cheers Arry

On 14/05/2019 at 11:37, skinner said:

does any one go peeler crabbing on east coast and when can you get them as I want a dozen to freeze for back end 

Round Filey Brigg and Scarborough Spa produce a few 

• Like 2

I do pots in the River Camel and they seem to peel in cycles. As Arry says, sometimes get loads sometimes a few. 

We do get them at night by lamping them but you’re not after the ones that put their dukes up, you are just spotting the jacks that are carrying a hen and removing her from him. Always leave the belly to belly ones personally but others take them. You can get hundreds at a time doing this. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...