5 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Double triggers too. Looks really difficult lol.

A double clutch wasn’t difficult either , but times have moved on . And I would ask any shooter who has swapped over from a single trigger to a double , who has fired the first shot and not made the mistake of squeezing that trigger again . And I know from having done it that the harder you squeeze won’t help you . ??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never had an issue switching from double to single and back to double triggers ever. I never understood the difficult sighting thingy. If a shotgun fits you don't really look at the gun, it shoul

A nice Beretta o/u multi choke will cover all your needs.            Here's my 687 sporter.            I've seen no need to change guns in over 25 years.          

Gone for a 686Special. Cheers for all the replies fellas 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

A double clutch wasn’t difficult either , but times have moved on . And I would ask any shooter who has swapped over from a single trigger to a double , who has fired the first shot and not made the mistake of squeezing that trigger again . And I know from having done it that the harder you squeeze won’t help you . ??

Swapped over many times. No problem mate. Mind over matter thing I guess.

Think of steering and clutching and changing gear all at the same time in a fluid motion. Or a hill start using the handbrake, clutch and throttle all together. It's quite easy really.

I get the whole love affair with a nice sidelock or box lock . The tradition and nostalgia. And I applaud people that still take them out . In fact on the driven shoots I load on they are more common than an O/U . But you won’t convince me that they shoot better than an O/U . How many S/s have you seen at the olympics or in any top level clay competition. The answer is none . 

Don't think the op mentioned clays.

There was also no discussion required as to what is better, in fact only one person I think mentioned any issues with double triggers! And I certainly don't need to convince anyone of anything friend.

You do mention the driven shoots you load for and side by sides out number super imposed guns, do the side by sides work?

The post was which over and under ? He has now been convinced to get a side by side . Maybe it would do for walking up , because they are light and tend to handle quickly. I am I think an experienced shot , trying to offer good advice , and pointing out some pitfalls that I see in purchasing a side by side . These are only my opinions .  I think my opinion is as valid as anyone else’s . I’ve got nothing against side by sides . They shoot well .....You asked do they work ? From what I’ve seen, they work well enough on average driven birds . But when you get into high bird shooting, and I’m talking Brigands , sweet lamb , Chargot , the top Devon shoots , Warter priory . It’s O/U long barrels and tight chokes , and 36 gram 5s with not a sidelock or box lock in sight . 

• Like 2
On 12/05/2019 at 23:21, BenBhoy said:

For last few years all my shooting has been with a semi.

But this game season I'll be having a few walked up days so looking for a cheap (400-600 notes) o/u to last me 12 months. Got my eye on a Fabram gamma 2 & a Franchi harrier, any thoughts on either ofthese? 

Cheers 

Getting back to where we started from,  A gun is a gun. So if you shoot with a semi auto what's wrong with shooting pheasant with it. I've seen loads of people ùsing autos of shoots. You're not shooting at Sandringham or Balmoral are you? And why .... to last me 12 months.  Even the cheapest firepole will last many  years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Meece said:

Getting back to where we started from,  A gun is a gun. So if you shoot with a semi auto what's wrong with shooting pheasant with it. I've seen loads of people ùsing autos of shoots. You're not shooting at Sandringham or Balmoral are you? And why .... to last me 12 months.  Even the cheapest firepole will last many  years.

Personally, I don't like to see semi auto on game shoots. I'm a bit of a traditionalist & it wouldn't feel 'right' to be shooting birds I've put hours into rearing with the third cartridge from a cammo semi. Each to their own. ?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...