For last few years all my shooting has been with a semi.

But this game season I'll be having a few walked up days so looking for a cheap (400-600 notes) o/u to last me 12 months. Got my eye on a Fabram gamma 2 & a Franchi harrier, any thoughts on either ofthese? 

Cheers 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never had an issue switching from double to single and back to double triggers ever. I never understood the difficult sighting thingy. If a shotgun fits you don't really look at the gun, it shoul

A nice Beretta o/u multi choke will cover all your needs.            Here's my 687 sporter.            I've seen no need to change guns in over 25 years.          

Gone for a 686Special. Cheers for all the replies fellas 

Posted Images

For walk up shooting I can recommend a Beretta ultralight. If you can get one secondhand, you could pick one up for around the £600 mark if it’s seen a bit of use . In fact any Beretta 686 will be a gun for life , their barrels are chrome lined and they are a well made gun that can stand a bit of neglect. I used to do a lot of walk up rough shooting over my spaniels , I had an ultralight and I could walk for miles with that slung over my arm . I liked it so much that I had a kickeeze pad fitted so it could handle heavy shooting from a pigeon hide and not knock me about too much . I’m a fan of Miroku shotguns for clays and driven , but I wouldn’t want to carry my 32” MK38 around all day . Give me a Beretta any day. 

• Like 1

I have the 686 whitewing onyx , very light and totally strip cleanable .Around 1100 quid new 7 years ago ,so 600 today seems about right .And the browning/lanber boys on our shoot hate it but i cant help they have nooo taste :clapper:

• Like 1

Cheers for all the replies fellas.

@Sausagedog and @Rimfireboy! My first intention was indeed a sXs. Aesthetically I find them more appealing but I've had several people tell me how tricky they are to get used to in terms of line of sight, aim etc. I've had a shotgun for 16 years but never fired a sXs.... decisions decisions. I do realllllllllly like look of AYA guns.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

@Sausagedog and @Rimfireboy! My first intention was indeed a sXs. Aesthetically I find them more appealing but I've had several people tell me how tricky they are to get used to in terms of line of sight, aim etc. I've had a shotgun for 16 years but never fired a sXs.... decisions decisions. I do realllllllllly like look of AYA guns.

Go on, you know you want to?

• Like 1

In the price range you are talking about you will struggle to find an AYA SXS with a single trigger but if you don’t mind a double trigger then fair play . They take a bit of getting used to and aren’t my cup of tea . Having said that my first gun was an AYA yeoman and it was a well made gun . 

Never had an issue switching from double to single and back to double triggers ever.

I never understood the difficult sighting thingy. If a shotgun fits you don't really look at the gun, it should naturally track and you click it in front.

If however it doesn't fit it don't matter how it's made or how much, your gonna miss!

Honestly, configuration itself will not determine sucess!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Never had an issue switching from double to single and back to double triggers ever.

I never understood the difficult sighting thingy. If a shotgun fits you don't really look at the gun, it should naturally track and you click it in front.

If however it doesn't fit it don't matter how it's made or how much, your gonna miss!

Spot on SD? 

33 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

It's strange to me that the same old statements are frequently posted . Such as ... A sbs kicks like a mule.  ???  ... I  can't get used to using two triggers ???? ..... I find the sight plane tricky ???.    If you think about it logically a gun is only a tube through which the load is propelled.  30 grams is 30 grams. If a gun is kicking you, either you aren't holding it correctly or it doesn't fit you. Don't look at the gun, look at the target. Follow The line and then through. If you have been shooting for 16 years you must have a friend that uses a sbs that you could have a go with. It's all in the mind. Oh and then there's the ... but its not multi choke !!!

This is a good post from a banned  PW 'er who thinks similarly to me.

15 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

• Like 2

I don’t want to be one of those guys who gets into a debate on what shotguns are best ..... but I guess I’m one of those guys !!!  There is a good reason that you won’t see a side by side in a clay competition ( unless it’s a SBS competition)  because the O&U shoots better and has a better plane of vision for which to shoot a moving target . There is also a good reason why manufacturers don’t make double triggers anymore, because shooters prefer a single trigger. The thing is any old banger will get you from A to B but most of us choose the car that best suits our needs and our pocket , and so it is with guns . For the odd shot walking up a sbs might well be the perfect gun for you , but it is not the best !!!