No mate always season first otherwise the wood will split

You can make a woodstain with coffee in boiling water to bring the grain out

There lived a farmer in Northumberland, Norman Tulip he often used holly his sticks are on display at Alnwick castle, and can be seen online

Winter is recommended for cutting the sticks as the sap is low

• Like 2

One or two I've done. If I'm allowed a comment, holly, possibly is the loveliest white wood, when stripped, for stick making. (In my opinion). Next to it might be stripped blackthorn. When cutting holly it possibly would be best in the late Autumn when the sap is dropping and then laid for at least a year. After assembling your stick there are a number of oils available from wood turning establishments which, again in my opinion, are far better than varnish. I'll admit to liking a finer finish more in keeping with a lady like look but the Devils in the beholder and for a bushing stick that looks pretty good. Well done on a first attempt. Jok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I use a horned stick as a gun rest as well as to aid my walking and i was having a crazy thought how long till somebody gets charged for having a offencive weapon with the  spikes of the antlers ???>