Dandruff in dogs

1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

i feed them redmills racer ,20% protein ,just a cup full with the raw ,thanks to everyone for the replies ,its the 1st time ive had this ,so not familiar with the condition , the thing is ,2 have it 2 dont ,and all on the same diet ,so that had me bewildered 

Every dog is different, some react differently to the same ingredients 

20 minutes ago, lifelong cumbrian said:

my dog has a bit of dandruff at present, he is casting, was same last year, soon as he is finished casting it is gone,

I reckon if you kick him in the balls and say no, he might stop dropping dandruff mate or you could try T-gel or Head & Shoulders ;)

As for dropping hair... fuuck! With the way the seasons change here and the amount of hair I sweep up daily, I'm surprised my animals arent bald lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Try coconut oil rub it on them will clear up in a week.had same problem tried everything from shampos to mange treatments nothing worked til i rubbed coconut oil into them cleared up in a week and puts lovely shine and condition on their coats

• Thanks 1

Change the diet (a bit) and take into account the time of year, throw in a bath or two with a dandruff shampoo but what works for me is a damn good hand massage in the mix.

Get your hands and fingers into that coat daily and it will make a difference.

thanks for the great tips guys,i will sort it no doubt now ,the dogs are coating at the minute so thats possibly it ,the dog with a wooly coat has no dandruff and the smooth has ,

Likely due to the moult. Skin problems such as fungus etc tend to effect kennal mates so unlikely. If it doesn't clear after moulting then stress is the biggest cause of whole body skin problems. Second would be diet with a likely reaction to a specific protein, often a meat ie beef or chicken etc but allergies are less common than is often perceived. 

• Like 1

My dog gets dandruff too. And gets itchy. Diet is the main cause. Chicken does'nt agree with him or sardines (mackeral and turkey  is good). Too much protein/rich food does it. When he was young I made the mistake of over feeding him on raw tripe/beef/veg. Its good stuff but so protein rich he had bad itching/dandruff for a good few months till we chopped and changed his diet till we got it right. You might not have to cut anything out completely but cut down on certain foods. Can have too much of a good thing. BUT, certain shampoos give my dog dandruff too. Not that he gets shampooed much. Just rubbed down with flannel and warm water once a week and he's clean as a bean. But then he's short coated so that's easy enough. Each dog is different.  See what works/does'nt work through trial and error. atb.

• Thanks 1