Dandruff in dogs

I've noticed only this week 2 of the four dogs have dandruff,and went about this morning to sort it out,I bought a horse wash,recommended by a greyhound trainer,it's for dry skin and sweet itch in equine ,I feed them sardines regularly,give them mostly flesh,have a dry bed,(wax paper) and am wondering how this condition has formed,they are at the minute coating heavily ,so hoping this may be why,any opinions on the matter?

IMG_20190511_154917.jpg

IMG_20190511_154933.jpg

Edited by jigsaw

30 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I've noticed only this week 2 of the four dogs have dandruff,and went about this morning to sort it out,I bought a hose wash,recommended by a greyhound trainer,it's for dry skin and sweet itch in equine ,I feed them sardines regularly,give them mostly flesh,have a dry bed,(wax paper) and am wondering how this condition has formed,they are at the minute coating heavily ,so hoping this may be why,any opinions on the matter?

IMG_20190511_154917.jpg

IMG_20190511_154933.jpg

What meat are they on mate

up to a fortnight ago it was almost all beef,the last 2 weeks ive used chicken mince a bit more and ox heart 2 days a week ,with a few beef shin bones twice a week also , 3 days a week sardines ,

18 minutes ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Might be too much protein pal.

would that cause dandruff?...i feed all the dogs on raw ,almost constantly ,in the off season i cut back a bit on it but dont change their diet ,ive not had this problem before ,hopefully the wash will sort it out anyway ,

33 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

would that cause dandruff?...i feed all the dogs on raw ,almost constantly ,in the off season i cut back a bit on it but dont change their diet ,ive not had this problem before ,hopefully the wash will sort it out anyway ,

Could possibly be see how you go with shampoo if don’t work try cut beef out completely till you start running them hard again but see if shampoo works first there’s shampoo called seelen very good for bad skin.What bedding are they on ?

This exact same issue happened to my dog mate, and if I'm not careful it reoccurs.

The only thing I have found that triggers it is sudden dietry change. When I got the dog he was fed half dry half raw by his previous owner but I moved him onto all raw gradually. I fed him all sorts to see what he like best and that is when it started. I have overtime figured out that he can only eat a consisrent diet of 80% minced chicken and the other 20% can be made up of rabbit and venison only but not in large quantities and it must be in combination with the chicken. Beef is the worst for him and triggers the dandruff within a day or so, so I avoid that completely. 

I also add a bit (maybe 25ml) of salmon oil to his feed every other day. And finally try and oatmeal shampoo but only use it every 3 or so months in my opinion.

Hope this helps...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Could possibly be see how you go with shampoo if don’t work try cut beef out completely till you start running them hard again but see if shampoo works first there’s shampoo called seelen very good for bad skin.What bedding are they on ?

Wax paper from the greyhound track,a bale is 20 quid,changed every fortnight 

I had same problem a bitch that I recently acquired.I put her on raw and a grain free kibble and was also told to put a few drops of evening primrose oil on her food.Cleared up after a few  days

Edited by Kevj

It will almost definitely be something to do with the diet, do you use a cheap dry food as a supplement to the meat ? If you do feed dry aswell try using hypoallergenic stuff. I had mine on some cheap dry food recently and they got dandruff so changed the dry food I use as a mixer to that Arden grange hypoallergenic lamb and rice and the dandruff went in a few weeks and coats went shiney and I didn’t wash them or use any shampoos 

6 hours ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

It will almost definitely be something to do with the diet, do you use a cheap dry food as a supplement to the meat ? If you do feed dry aswell try using hypoallergenic stuff. I had mine on some cheap dry food recently and they got dandruff so changed the dry food I use as a mixer to that Arden grange hypoallergenic lamb and rice and the dandruff went in a few weeks and coats went shiney and I didn’t wash them or use any shampoos 

i feed them redmills racer ,20% protein ,just a cup full with the raw ,thanks to everyone for the replies ,its the 1st time ive had this ,so not familiar with the condition , the thing is ,2 have it 2 dont ,and all on the same diet ,so that had me bewildered 

Edited by jigsaw