Newbie from Lincolnshire

Hi all fort id just introduce myself quickly im 33 from Lincolnshire im into falconry. Ive owned birds for the last 8 years i started with a male harris hawk then a female redtail and now i own a male gos hawk cannot wait till hes had his 1st  molt so i can get bk out there catching game. I lamped the harris and the red taking ut in turns on slips with my mates dog had some cracking flights with the birds on the lamp! 

• Like 2

On 11/05/2019 at 08:41, Bgp171 said:

Hi all fort id just introduce myself quickly im 33 from Lincolnshire im into falconry. Ive owned birds for the last 8 years i started with a male harris hawk then a female redtail and now i own a male gos hawk cannot wait till hes had his 1st  molt so i can get bk out there catching game. I lamped the harris and the red taking ut in turns on slips with my mates dog had some cracking flights with the birds on the lamp! 

Welcome along mate.

That sounds pretty amazing. One thing I've never experienced, seeing someone working falconry etc. What's the catch rate like for a 'good' bird? 

Cheers mate and thank you

Yer the catch rate was alot more then day time not that its all about catching as i like to see the chase but working the bird with the lamp gets me out every other nyt and im not spending half my day digging the ferrits lol i was slipping the bird on hares/ rabbits at easily 100/150 meters away was bagging more then lurcher on some nyts ?

27 minutes ago, Bgp171 said:

was bagging more then lurcher on some nyts ?

Who has better recall though??? ? 

I know what you mean about enjoying the chase, my lurcher is 9yo now but still thinks she's got it! 

Welcome, that sounds an amazing thing to be involved in, I’ve done almost every kind of country pursuit over the years, even the ones that are now banned that sadly people coming into this now will never get to experience but I’ve never been lucky enough to go out with someone who works birds, I’ve watched a lot of videos on YouTube and to see them chase down hares is a fantastic thing to watch ?

• Like 2

The harris i owned had amazing recall i flew it on a hare once on the lamp and it was chasing it out of the beam i blew on the whistle 2 sharp blows and all you could see was the hi viz jesses coming bk towards us was one of the best flights it had but the red tail was a pain in the arse and very temperamental and would only do what she wonted to do lol so the dog had better recall then the red but not the harris ha ive got a male gos now will be its 1st season come sept so cant wait to get it out 

• Like 1

Cheers stavross ive alwalys bin into hunting my older brother use to have terriors and luchers and i use to be out with him all the time but for me flying birds of prey is an amazing sport and i love watching them hunt have to be a fast runner for hares tho lol [BANNED TEXT] there catching them on the next field and ya gotta get there as quick as possible as they do give up a good fight!! The birds ive had have been kicked off more times then theyve kept hold of them ?

• Like 1

I was a bit obsessed at one point watching Roy lupton flying his eagles on mountain hares and goshawks on rabbits and even on game birds, it’s something you don’t see a lot of and is stunning to watch ?

My male gos's mum is a roy lupton bird and yer dale mews is good to watch aswell with hiz vizlas and gos it was me dad who got me into it he owned harris hawks for years and i fort once i get me own place im gunna get into it and did brill sport 

• Like 2