Might be good news

That’s what I want to see, by putting them on the quarry list you can take them for food in a season and they would still be covered under the GL for crop protection out of season, win win ? saying that I’ll believe it when I see it

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, timmytree said:

Don't count on it. Gove hasn't got the balls to do anything that will upset his mates at NE and WJ.

He'll make the right noises for a while, then the GLs set up by NE will be passed and stand as they are. I can almost guarantee it. 

The problem with the GL’s that have been released is they are to grey and can be interpreted in to many different ways, it wouldn’t work for the shooter or if someone was deemed to be not following the GL they would never secure a conviction because of how it is worded, on the other hand if pigeon was classed as quarry there’s clear guidelines as to when they can be taken and if you are not shooting for crop protection then you would not be effected by the GL also been seasoned this makes them a very sustainable food, it would make perfect sense to go this way and also to put corvid on as vermin, but sadly as you say I’d be shocked if he’d rock the NE/WJ boat 

1 hour ago, timmytree said:

Don't count on it. Gove hasn't got the balls to do anything that will upset his mates at NE and WJ.

He'll make the right noises for a while, then the GLs set up by NE will be passed and stand as they are. I can almost guarantee it. 

People think I am negative, but Christ you take it to a new level. I bet those winter nights in your house hold must be very , very long?

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, philpot said:

We do need to be positive about this and I do believe it will work out but Gove is a grade A tosser, a man who doesn't deserve our trust IMO

Phil

None of them you can trust  Phil 

• Haha 1

Gove has one objective in life and its self promotion, he will say anything that he thinks will give him a vote and stab you in the back as soon as look at you, ask Boris.

The word is considering, and there lies the problem!

• Like 2

If you peruse Google there are literally hundreds of culinary references and recipes for wood pigeon. People love eating it, and done right, wood pigeon is very fine.

Foodies themselves even refer to a 'season' for wood pigeon. 

For something that has long been acknowledged as an abundant source of ecologically grade A meat as well as being an important agricultural pest, it's dumbfounding how sketchy the t's & c's of the GL have been.

To declare an open season on woodies would be a sensible way of managing the species without the pretence and BS. After all, an entire industry has grown up around the apparently illegal sport of pigeon shooting, the deeks, the guns, the hides, the ammo, and yet the population continues to flourish. 

Will they put it on the quarry list? Who knows. I struggle to see it happening in this day and age, but with a strictly observed close season that reverts to the terms of a GL, it could be a goer.

• Like 1
On 10/05/2019 at 22:05, timmytree said:

I don’t think Gove is going to risk pissing off all the country’s farmers, pest controllers, gamekeepers including all the toffs who employ them, in favour of a relative handful of tree huggers, who he knows will probably be wasting their votes on the Green Party, regardless of what he does or doesn’t do. He knows which side his bread is buttered, he’s not that stupid.

• Like 5