First go on the moles

Saw a few Traps at the bootsale last week so got them in. Popped up my sisters field she said there's no moles there but I found three mounts by a gorse patch in her 4 acre field so not many at all. Put the trap in, hole only came in from one side, can moles have stop ends like a rabbit? Anyway popped up this afternoon and the one trap I laid has a catch so happy with that, one trap laid and one mole. 

I reset the same trap on the same hole, I'm guessing you can catch more than one from the same place? Sticking to just one trap as there's only 3 mounds the rest are under all the gorse. 

IMG-20190509-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190509-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20190509_205230_025.jpg

• Like 1

Well done!

But you got lucky. There would have been another hole. You just didn't find it. Always poke around with a bit of bent wire to find both ends of the tunnels and also check to make sure that there isn't a third or fourth tunnel as sometimes you open up a junction.

Tha ks for the reply. So its not always a case of hole in one side out the other, can you get the 90 degrees to one another? Complete newbie to this side of it so all advice is welcome. Gotta be honest though think snaring and trapping is my favourite method of hunting. 

Mole tunnels don't always run straight.  If the mole digging the tunnel comes across an obstruction it will change direction and sometimes they are curved for no apparent reason. If I can't find a good, clean entrance both sides I'll fill it in and look elsewhere.

I often find tunnels that are dead ends. Although I don't routinely set in them, I have caught moles from them. With a barrel or Talpex, the direction of the dead end isnt an issue, but if a single putangue is used, you have to make sure the business end is headed back to a main run.

Thanks  guys.  Well one sort of my sisters field is over run must be 30 odd hills in a bottom corner only the horses go, again dubto the rocks most of the runs are at funny angles and  only have the tunnel type trap for now, so I've put 4 down along the edges. Nothing yesterday but 48 hours in today and I had this one, another male. Reset the trap there so hope to pick o a few more from here as there is lots of activity. Whenv I get paid I'll pick up 2 putanges just to open up more options for my trapping. Can anyone recommend anyone here to purchase from? Nice change though to snaring squirrels and rabbits in the winter or catty shooting. So I'll do this over the summer along with the dogs ratting to keep me sane until winter. So considering my sisters quote '' there any no moles in my fields '', I'm on 2 so far lol. 

DSC_0651.JPG

DSC_0647.JPG

Get a dibber bar to find the runs. You can make them easily enough or get them off Ebay. The end of the bar is fatter so when it finds a run you can feel it slip in on entry (waits for Oh Err jokes). https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/STV-International-Defenders-Mole-Run-Finder-585-Mm-Metal-Probe-With-Hardwood-for/17012065264?iid=263747982696&thm=1000

If you're placing traps near to where the public walk I would mark where the traps are set with road marking spray paint. You can still find your traps and it stops people stealing your traps if they see where they are from your markers.

Also check boundaries, they'll make tunnels that run parallel with walls and fencing.