Buzzards - any clue?

Could well be Honey Buzzards on migration to their breeding sites in on the east coasts of Britain.  A field full of worms in a loamy soil would be easy for them to dig out to replenish body fats before breeding.

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buzzards feeding on worms...see it in the fields around here regular..20 is a lot but see 12 or quite often in one field

I see them regularly in winter here in France so they must be eating something other than insects. But given the OP mentioned markings on their chest it is worth mentioning that common buzzards nearly

I think they are just common Buzzards, in Devon we get a lot of the pale nearly white fronted ones like that. Used to see lots just like that at Berry Pomeroy village always on worms.  Cheers Arr

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

And worms are insects too ?

It's worms and anything else that's edible if there's no insects in abundance, and after all the rain we've just had, I would say worms are the top treat at the minute.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Chid said:

Buzzards will migrate and fly in groups when they do , maybe you seen a rest stop ...

That’s really interesting I never new buzzards migrated but if true would explain the field full I saw last year just like south hams they stayed in the same field on mass for nearly a week, the field was along the Severn estuary on a well known migration route, I saw a osprey several years back and my one and only pied fly catcher all along the same area, also bump into those people who mist net and ring migrating birds from time to time ???

13 hours ago, Greyman said:

I told you I saw the same thing last year, i,ll try and drive past the same field tomorrow on my way to Gloucester if they are there again maybe something seasonal like needing the grit from worms for egg shell ???

I meant people I had asked in person sorry 

13 hours ago, Arry said:

I think they are just common Buzzards, in Devon we get a lot of the pale nearly white fronted ones like that. Used to see lots just like that at Berry Pomeroy village always on worms. 

Cheers Arry

Your right they normally are but these where all identical

10 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Your right they normally are but these where all identical

Honey Buzzards have a black bar on the tip of the tail mate have a look for that. You could try the Devon bird recorder at "recorder@devonbirds.org"  Kevin Rylands. See what he thinks they could well be interested anyway.

Cheers Arry

5 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Ffs they are common buzzards all feeding on worms ,making use of a local food source .Nothing special in that ,herons do the same with any food source .

You Tell him, you,ve seen that happen a million times nothing unusual round Wiltshire so common you would not even take a pic ????? it’s interesting for anyone who has a real interest in wildlife and the countryside, I spend quite a lot of my time out and about can’t help myself and I have witnessed it once in my life so not really an every day occurrence and would be nice to have a definitive answer, ✌️

• Like 1

You have it but choose to ignore mate .It is common that’s why they are called common buzzards .Same gathering as kites over the tip near me ,only a food source ,nothing else .If the op had watched a while he would see the birds feeding .