Yes filled it in rez?

Nicely put tim, just shows them that one daft decision by a body of people that know relatively nothing can have a much larger impact on the whole countryside. Well done pal?

37 minutes ago, timmytree said:

This is what I emailed to them.

I have been involved in shooting for over 50 years in various forms but primarily undertaking crop protection, livestock protection and preservation of some flora and fauna.
The revocation of the GLs recently has caused major disruption to landowners who have given me permission to help control damage caused mainly by woodpigeons, crows, magpies, rooks and jackdaws.
I would like to cite one particular farm as an example of how the farmers reaction to the revocation and the issue of the new, unworkable GL, will cause major damage to our countryside and the animals and birds that live in it.
This farm is mixed arable and sheep, relatively small fields with a large number of copses and spinneys that are used by many nesting birds and sheltering animals.
There are many mature tree around the fields that are used as roosts and look out points, tall hedges that provide stock barriers and ideal nesting habitat.
This farm owner and I had a long talk about the new GL issued for control of woodpigeons and corvids in particular.
We consider the new GL to be so ambiguous that pest control for him now means removing all the copses and spinneys, they will be grubbed out and burned within the next month. 
An active rookery of some 100+ birds is located in a group of mature trees, instead of culling to keep numbers stable the trees will now be cut down, similarly, individual trees will be removed where pest birds routinely use them.
The lovely mature hedges are going to be cut almost to ground level or removed entirely to be replaced by barbed wire or electric fencing.
Another farm near me has, in the last 3 weeks reseeded a number of grass fields. A combination of gas guns, flags and tapes were deployed but ignored by the birds within 3 days. Now the grass has sprouted there are large patches that are virtually bare and will need reseeding. Further expense and no doubt a delay before any hay or silage can be taken for winter feed. In previous years we have used a combination of deterrents and shooting to keep the birds moving, particularly with corvids a few dead crows hung around a boundary can have a huge deterrent effect on the rest.
In my view, the new issue GLs are virtually unworkable in any sensible manner and don't allow landowners and shooters to use commonsense in dealing with a pest bird situation. This will lead to untold damage across our countryside, loss of habitat and a lack of protection and shelter for many of our most vulnerable birds and animals. The birds that need controlling regularly are all in a position where their population is increasing to the detriment of other wildlife and increasing stock and crop damage.
That group includes woodpigeons, feral pigeons, all corvids except maybe jays.
Surely the best way to reduce the numbers to a manageable level would be to declare some species officially a pest that may be culled for any reason and in the case of woodpigeon, for human consumption. At any time that numbers fall to an acceptable level those species are then returned to a GL or to an individual/local licence.

Did the survey as well and a similar email to Wild Justice on monday and signed up for their newsletter. Funnily enough they haven't replied.

Now thats how to do it... copy and paste that i think.

Weldone.

Shame all that mature wood land and hedges have to go which in the long run is more of a down fall to all other species.

FF

• Like 2

All filled in and sent and I feel better for it too.

One of the scarecrows the farmer put out had a crow perched on its arm this morning. :laugh:

As well as make me laugh, it made me feel sick to the core that centuries of country management and knowledge is being dictated to by these ignorant people.

Do your bit lads and fill in the forms and send.

atb. Mark.

• Like 1

Yes done both Defra and BASC.

I wish I had my camera /zoom lens a few days ago as there is a scarecrow in a field on the edge of our village with around 17 crows sat all around it and within 10-20 feet. I could not have framed it any better and have been back a few times but the crows have not been there whilst I have. Shame

Phil