Anyone clued up on tax that can help me, I got a pay rise in work last october, everything was gran until April this year I got hit with a new tax code, apparently I didn't have to pay as much tax as I had some n.i Contributions built up from previous employment, now the pay rise I got is being swallowed by the taxman, it's a f***ing joke.

I'm not seeing any of it.

I worked hard for the payrise, then for it to be taken off me is a kick in the balls.

Could someone help me way a wee question, the personal allowsnce has risen to 12500 this year, to my understanding, that means I won't get taxed uptown this above amount but over that I'm getting charged 20percent.

I have a business on the side also an it's booming, i thought I might ask my work for "flexible hours" which means I want to reduce my hours by ten hours.

Here's the question, if I reduced my hours to say 29 hours, that would bring me under the threshold of 12500.

Would this then mean I won't have to pay income tax as I'm under the threshold, I understand IL have to pay a bit of n.i.

Could someone clarify this for me, an the extra hours off would give me more time with my business 

Thanks in advance

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my view is pal , dont give to much info  on a public forum  , 

Good advice for you Francie, but what is your business on the side, how much does it earn, and how can I get one ?

Francie for a religious man you're a disgrace if it's not for taxes how would all these poor immigrants get by? all the single mothers with lots of kids to feed bang the hours in earn the money and pa

it will depend on your totall yearly income  over a certain amount anually  tax threshold will rise free pay will be same ,more you earn more you pay    thats how it is!.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, riohog said:

it will depend on your totall yearly income  over a certain amount anually  tax threshold will rise free pay will be same ,more you earn more you pay    thats how it is!.

Thanks Rio, the way I'm understanding it is, if I cut my hours to 30 a week, that means annually IL earn just under the threshold of 12500, so it can't be taxed apart from small n.i contribution 

Hopefully I'm understanding it correctly?

I my business is getting busier an I would mind taking them extra hours an putting it into me business.

Can anyone help me with the above?

11 minutes ago, Francie said:

Thanks Rio, the way I'm understanding it is, if I cut my hours to 30 a week, that means annually IL earn just under the threshold of 12500, so it can't be taxed apart from small n.i contribution 

Hopefully I'm understanding it correctly?

I my business is getting busier an I would mind taking them extra hours an putting it into me business.

Can anyone help me with the above?

i suppose in reality buissenss wise  if that produces an income aswell  it contributes to your total anuall income   dont want to say to much  ,i dont know your circumstances  !!, maybe a word with an accountant  may help :thumbs:

3 minutes ago, riohog said:

i suppose in reality buissenss wise  if that produces an income aswell  it contributes to your total anuall income   dont want to say to much  ,i dont know your circumstances  !!, maybe a word with an accountant  may help :thumbs:

Yeah Rio maybe so, just thought I'd ask the thl massive before I done anything else?

4 minutes ago, Francie said:

Yeah Rio maybe so, just thought I'd ask the thl massive before I done anything else?

my view is pal , dont give to much info  on a public forum  , :thumbs:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Maybe you could get a job where you could perhaps do your own books and maybe you could do jobs for cash to stop a certain amount going through the books? Not sure if that’s possible but maybe it is ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

Maybe you could get a job where you could perhaps do your own books and maybe you could do jobs for cash to stop a certain amount going through the books? Not sure if that’s possible but maybe it is ?

to much info8)

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, riohog said:

to much info8)

Lol I put everything through personally, I didn’t I’ll be honest but it does have its benefits and I can claim a lot back as expenses now that I couldn’t before! 

Im self employed though so it’s different, if I had a wage going into my bank from a job there isn’t anything I could do about it is there? As in that’s the structure I get paid in so if I stay in that job that’s the amount of tax I’ll pay? 

Genuine question ?

4 minutes ago, Stoney100 said:

Lol I put everything through personally, I didn’t I’ll be honest but it does have its benefits and I can claim a lot back as expenses now that I couldn’t before! 

Im self employed though so it’s different, if I had a wage going into my bank from a job there isn’t anything I could do about it is there? As in that’s the structure I get paid in so if I stay in that job that’s the amount of tax I’ll pay? 

Genuine question ?

im retired  so really dont give a f,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Haha 1

I think the only way around it would be to be paid cash on your side job .Its another case of an unfair tax system imho it pisses me off the amount of tax me and the wife pay because we receive work related pensions from former jobs witch is  pittance in reality.

14 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I think the only way around it would be to be paid cash on your side job .Its another case of an unfair tax system imho it pisses me off the amount of tax me and the wife pay because we receive work related pensions from former jobs witch is  pittance in reality.

Tax is theft lol

I don't mind paying for NHS etc but them c**ts are certainly skimming of the top tats.

40 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I pay well over the odds tax☹️ An only way around it is to drop hours so wages fall within tax code, but what about if we want extra spends for family? Means I got to punch me cnut in for not a lot extra by time Timmy tax man gets his share, fcuk em tho, work pay it an enjoy ? start worrying about money an it soon drains the fun out life ?

Yeah ano don, but when ye bust your balls to get a raise,  only for it to be taken by tax man is a kick in the nutts.

I think I'm either going to ask for less hours or another payrise?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Or have w word with ye boss an explain the situation, ye never know pal if ye a good grafter then he may say keep it as you are an he will sort you a decent bonus come crimbo or summat? good employee are like rocking horse shit these days an any decent boss will do what they can to help ye?

Aye tbh fair don he give me a rise after 6 weeks in the job, so I might just ask for another raise lol

Edited by Francie
  • Like 1